Sign in to follow this  
guyhaz

ASNF Removal of Feral Horses

my email didn't go through with this address either. Instead, I just went to the Apache Sitegreaves National Forest website and put my comment in there. I also called the number listed above at 928-235-5764 and left a comment for them over the phone.

Why not make a hunting season for them? The meat is good and you would fill your freezer. It would be a good fill in hunt between elk tags. The problem then could be controlled by hunter and they could make money with tag sales.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CATERPILLAR said:

Why not make a hunting season for them? The meat is good and you would fill your freezer. It would be a good fill in hunt between elk tags. The problem then could be controlled by hunter and they could make money with tag sales.

I think the issue may be that there might be a profit to be made by selling the tag. You can legally butcher a horse and eat it or give the meat away. Just can't profit from it. Feral may be healthier than one that was a "Pet" since those have probably had shots for one thing or another.

Just now, PRDATR said:

I think the issue may be that there might be a profit to be made by selling the tag. You can legally butcher a horse and eat it or give the meat away. Just can't profit from it. Feral may be healthier than one that was a "Pet" since those have probably had shots for one thing or another.

There's another issue called the Wild Horse and Burro Protection Act 1971. Prior to that you could round them up and take them to slaughter. 

Next the USDA meat inspectors were ordered to stop inspecting horse meat under the 2nd Bush presidency, and that effectively closed the equine slaughter houses.

Problem is the feds have failed to manage the population of the herds using tools such as chemical castration.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Edge said:

There's another issue called the Wild Horse and Burro Protection Act 1971. Prior to that you could round them up and take them to slaughter. 

Next the USDA meat inspectors were ordered to stop inspecting horse meat under the 2nd Bush presidency, and that effectively closed the equine slaughter houses.

Problem is the feds have failed to manage the population of the herds using tools such as chemical castration.

Totally agree Tim. There is something about seeing them wild that makes everyone smile. There is still a market for them im MX and I think that there are still a couple of companies in TX that ship them out even though there isn't a commercial market for the meat here, at least that I know about but it does still get consumed.

Ironically only the feds or those with 501 3c status can send horses to slaughter here in the states. Those charities mostly being operated as horse rescues.

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Ironically only the feds or those with 501 3c status can send horses to slaughter here in the states. Those charities mostly being operated as horse rescues.

We should start one so we can "rescue" some horses from the hot Arizona desert.