JackJ

Suggestion for 6A Archery

Elk top to bottom, you don’t need suggestions, if you can’t find elk on that hunt you need to take up fishing.

• Like 2

Don’t be afraid to look around in the lower S/E portion of the unit……I didn’t see too many folks last year on my hunt there.  

• Like 3

Thank you. I was planning on focusing on the North east section but I will at least spend 1 weekend in the southeast and we will see.

Its really kind of funny. 10 years ago elk hunters helped each other out but now there seem to be a disproportionate number of assholes who really want to give there useless opinion or make some "funny/witty" comment. I appreciate your heads up..... oops. Did I say that out loud?

• Confused 1

That would be their!  Their useless opinion or make some “funny/witty” comment….Just trying to help…😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BOHNTR said:

Don’t be afraid to look around in the lower S/E portion of the unit……I didn’t see too many folks last year on my hunt there.  

You will next time now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JackJ said:

Thank you. I was planning on focusing on the North east section but I will at least spend 1 weekend in the southeast and we will see.

Its really kind of funny. 10 years ago elk hunters helped each other out but now there seem to be a disproportionate number of assholes who really want to give there useless opinion or make some "funny/witty" comment. I appreciate your heads up..... oops. Did I say that out loud?

You join and your first post is asking for areas to hunt. Makes you wonder why?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wish2hunt said:

You will next time now.

Not really……not enough roads in that country for most of today’s hunters 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wish2hunt said:

You join and your first post is asking for areas to hunt. Makes you wonder why?

It’s akin to asking someone to date their wife…..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

jackJ:

I would also suggest some realistic expectations on the size bull you’re willing to take.  That unit has a lot of elk but they also kill a lot of bulls between all the seasons. As such, the age class doesn’t always reach the level of its true potential.  In my experience, a true 300-330” bull is a shooter there.  

Yeah. I've gathered as much. I think anything that looks 300 from opening morning on is a keeper. Thanks for confirming.

I've hunted 5B for years. Maybe I should have held out for a 5B tag.

Thank you

4 hours ago, Titanium700 said:

It’s akin to asking someone to date their wife…..

1 hour ago, JackJ said:

Yeah. I've gathered as much. I think anything that looks 300 from opening morning on is a keeper. Thanks for confirming.

I've hunted 5B for years. Maybe I should have held out for a 5B tag.

Thank you

JackJ,

6A is an incredible unit for elk and you are hunting the rut!!!! I am not sure how many bulls you have on your wall but i would enjoy the experience and shoot whatever bull gets your blood pumping and provides you the experience your looking for. My buddy owns one of the biggest taxidermy shops in the valley and I can tell you with certainty that most bulls, including the trophy units that come through his door are between 280 and 320. That said I have helped 4 hunters since 2017 gets shots at great bulls during that hunt including a 340ish bull.

Get familiar with the unit and as it gets close key in on water that is heavily tracked up. With how early the dates are cows will not be in estrus yet and bulls will still be wallowing heavy. Here’s a couple of my favor trail cam pictures in my scouting. Good luckC8246C3B-20CD-4F31-809D-D89F4C6F06BF.thumb.jpeg.b246d11ef934e8bd6b710f24f7184d69.jpegF20B8928-4937-4FC9-9D30-8F1D2FF37850.thumb.jpeg.73f1ed3ea8c5ff974ad4c7d0fccd7f37.jpeg9C0E5603-F52F-4997-9089-D54F78266433.thumb.jpeg.56e330c0052c5b2f3f23955903228264.jpeg0072F8BE-F604-4B49-934C-8AFD0CC55C53.thumb.jpeg.e5ee98732de876f6eb229567bf147fd2.jpeg 

• Like 4