Sign in to follow this  
HuntHarder

Which bullet?

So, starting from scratch on a new 300 win. mag.  My first and top priority will be Alaskan Moose.  Shot distances could and should be less than 200 yards, but I want to have the ability to shoot at least 700 ish, just in case the opportunity presents it's self.  In my other long range rifles, I have had good success with Berger VLD's and Hornady ELD-x's.  I think I might be over thinking this new rifle, just curious what others would start with.  My short list is Hammer, ELD-X, Barnes LRX or Accubonds.  I am thinking between 175gr - 200 grain on the bullet weight.  Barrel is 26" 1-10" twist.   I currently have H4350, H4831 but may be able to get some H1000 or Retumbo.  At any rate, anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

My brother has a great 73.0gr RL22 180gr NAB load that we are switching to RL23 in the coming weeks. Not your listed powders but 180 NAB has been excellent from 100-550 yards. I have another buddy that is starting with a 190 ABLR and H4831 in the same coming weeks based on blem availability and popular demand on various forums.

Did you draw a tag or are you going in 2023? I would try and find a load the rifle likes with the Accubonds. They aren't hard to kill for the most part.

Instead of looking for bullets online for weeks buy some Hammer Hunters or Absolute hunters, you will have them in 3/4 days.

178 gr. Absolute Hunter fed. 215/cci 250, H 4350 start at 70 grs. and work up to 76. You should be around 3000 to start and top out around 3290 and settle in about 74/75 grs. and 3225 

https://hammerbullets.com/product/308-cal-178g-absolute-hammer/

• Like 1

I’ve got similar dilemma except I’m loading for a 7mm Sherman Max.  I plan to shoot 160 bulldozers, 177 hammer hunters 172 absolute hammers and 195 bergers.  I’ve killed a pile of stuff with the bergers but headed to NWT this fall and a moose is on the list.   Would like something that’ll hold up better but will go with what shoots best once I run em all. 

I believe this guys on this test were shooting factory ammo? But you can see the Nosler 180gr Partition expansion test up to 500 yards.

I will be hunting this year in Alaska PRDTR.  I saw those Hammers as in stock and ready to ship.  I have read a lot of guys like them.  Are they similar to Barnes bullets?  The VLD served me well on plenty of critters, but the lack of exit on a few have me thinking they grenade a little too much for my liking on moose.  The last big game I shot with a rifle was a Caribou and the ELD-x performed fantastic.  Seems that a bunch of online reviews say they blow apart pretty easy tho.  Probably just over thinking this but I have some time, so why not.  I have 200gr. ELDX and 178 LRX.  I have never really been a Nosler guy, but the Accubond seems to have a cult like following.  

Back to the Hammer bullets, which one would be best suited?  Their spread of bullets is pretty amazing. Lots of options.  

• Like 1

I would order some 180 grain Hammer Hunters.  They are easy to develop a load for and are not very seating depth sensitive.  https://hammerbullets.com/product/308-cal-180-hammer-hunter/   There are many you-tube videos of Hammer Hunter gel tests. After the petals break off and diverge like shrapnel into the tissues, the shank has a flat front like a destructive wadcutter.

I have used the 124 HH from my 6.5 WSM on cow elk the past two falls and have been happy with the results.  Both shanks have exited with behind the shoulder shots.  I did find a petal under the offside hide of the first cow,  I did the gutless method so no internal autopsy was made. 

• Like 1

Another thumbs up for hammer. I have a friend that uses them and loves them.

I load imr 7828 ssc, 210 grain berger vld hunting, I get fantastic groups and great penetration, that is for my 300 win mag.

I would choose a bullet that I planned on shooting a bear with and then shoot the moose as needed.    Typically, when you hunt moose you are in griz country.   I would lean towards the partition or other very slow opening and deep penetrating bullet.   I would lean towards the very heavy side too.    Moose are thick and penetration really is the key.   Accuracy is almost not part of the equation.   You just need to hit the barn door.  

For moose, Hammers or Barnes.