Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

Bullet selection

My brother drew a cow bison tag for this august over on the North Rim. Wanted to get a few tips from the handful of members who also had this hunt on round selection. 

We have a low budget so buying a 45-70 would not be ideal. Especially since it's a once in a life time bag limit. So I was wondering what some of you guys used on your hunts. I have a 7 mag and a 308 so if those are proficient enough what kinda bullets should I look to use. If you have any other calibers that would be feasible too? Thank you!

Both calibers will work just fine. Which ever you can shoot best within 100yds with follow up shots if possible These beast can take some lead/copper. 

• Like 1

At 100 I'd use eathier.They would work .I'd probably run barns copper or hammer bullets .The copper will penetrate deep and usually hold weight better .No jacket to separate.If you guys have your heart set on old school lever iron sighted 45-70 shoot me a pm I could help with that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UggRedBilly said:

Gotcha. Why would the 7 mag be preferred over the 308?

A bit more energy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

At 100 I'd use eathier.They would work .I'd probably run barns copper or hammer bullets .The copper will penetrate deep and usually hold weight better .No jacket to separate.If you guys have your heart set on old school lever iron sighted 45-70 shoot me a pm I could help with that.

I really appreciate the offer! I will just keep my shots under 100 and use copper bullets. Probably the barnes for my 7 mag! Thank you! For copper what weight should I look for on the 7 mag

9 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

I really appreciate the offer! I will just keep my shots under 100 and use copper bullets. Probably the barnes for my 7 mag! Thank you! For copper what weight should I look for on the 7 mag

I've got a 300 win and run 168 barns.The copper bullets are longer and usually you can get away with one weight bullet lower than a lead core to get about the same results.IF I run standard bullets in the gun it likes 180gr bullets and 175 gr and 168 gr copper .I loaded some 175 and got them to hot and recked some brass but they shot great .I need to come down on powder and then they will be good .

I had the bull tag a few years back and used a 300win with Barnes 165gr TTSX. Is G&F still sending out vouchers for a free box of copper Ammo? 

Heard they are for the youth hunts if you bring in your tag .My buddy had to get a tag replacement for his granddaughters hunt and they asked what caliber she was shooting and hooked him up with some.

I received a voucher/code. Walked into Sportmans and grabbed a box of 165 TTSX and took it upfront. They wrote the info down and I was on my way. Free99 

1 hour ago, SpotNStalk said:

I had the bull tag a few years back and used a 300win with Barnes 165gr TTSX. Is G&F still sending out vouchers for a free box of copper Ammo? 

Not anymore according to the bison clinic last year

1 hour ago, UggRedBilly said:

This was the only barnes 7 mag ammo I could find that was still in stock on the internet. Bass pro and any other store near me doesn't have any others either. Would these guys work?

FEDERAL Barnes 160gr TSX 20rd/Box Ammo (P7RN)

https://gritrsports.com/federal-barnes-160gr-tsx-20rd-box-ammo-p7rn?avad=74383_c27b439d9

They should be fine.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UggRedBilly said:

This was the only barnes 7 mag ammo I could find that was still in stock on the internet. Bass pro and any other store near me doesn't have any others either. Would these guys work?

FEDERAL Barnes 160gr TSX 20rd/Box Ammo (P7RN)

https://gritrsports.com/federal-barnes-160gr-tsx-20rd-box-ammo-p7rn?avad=74383_c27b439d9

That’s all I shoot out of my 7mm, and my hunting buddy as well.  Accurate, and great penetration,  expansion and weight retention.  Plenty for a bison, cow or bull.