Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Getting into welding question

My oldest boy is graduating high school and wants to get into this field. Is it best to go get certified or can he go right in the field and learn there? We do have cochise college here and a 2 semester program here is pretty reasonable but wanted to ask here and see what you guys in this line of work might have to say.  

Probably depends on what welding field specifically. There are many different welding fields and I'm sure there's some that you need certs or you're obviously not getting a job. Probably need certs and experience, etc.  There's also jobs that you just have to show that you can weld to get hired (small shops where a bad weld isn't going to cause a catastrophe).  I think it probably just depends what field he wants to get into. Maybe underwater welding? 

My son is just finishing up his pipe fitters school/apprenticeship. Welding is a big part of it. He got is Med Gas Cert and struggling with the welding cert. Watching his progress I would recommend the Cochise College and Certified route.

• Like 2

Kev, how much welding has he done already?  Enough to know that he will like it?  By the time I grad. from H.S. I had done oxy/acetylene, brazing, and arc welding in shop class, and some of the guys were doing MIG and TIG and learning some cool stuff.  I have done very little welding since, but I supervised trades and crafts guys, which included some top notch mechanics and welders.  I don't know exactly how they got their start, but it was years ago, and probably would not apply to conditions now.  I do know one came from the Navy (can't remember if he was Hull Technician or Damage Controlman rating), and the other was from WY so possibly the oil industry.  

With respect to 2 semesters, welding is now so technical that 2 semesters will just scratch the surface.  Hope he likes sitting in a classroom because there will be some math, metallurgy, physics, chemistry.  I say this because I went to trade school before I went to college, and even back in the '70s we had those subjects taught to us.  So like any education, it will be an investment in himself, and require a lot of sacrifice and $$.  Hard to say what is the right choice.  Some kids no doubt get their start at a local repair or mechanic shop, but  to be really well-rounded, and at all competitive, I think a formal apprenticeship or military schools would be needed.   Locally, the SSVEC or the generating station might have some opportunities - maybe Freeport - McMoran?  Apache Powder?  Southwest Gas?  I would think getting into an apprenticeship with these companies would be very difficult, but some kids do succeed at it.  Best of luck to him, sometimes getting from point A to point B is anything but a straight line.

With the global energy issues looming on the horizon, I think I would look at petro-chemical pipeline welding.  That is a well-paid and stable field, at least it used to be, but they can pick and choose from pretty much any list of candidates.

• Like 3

Thanks all. Seems like at minimum a cert is the way to go. 

Steve he has no experience at all, he just decided he was interested in welding and or hvac.  Cochise college has an associattes degree for probably around $7k (64 credits i think).  General welding cert and a arrospace welding cert each of which are 18 credits and roughly $2500

• Like 1

I think it depends on how much he has welding so far .... how much experience does he have right now. I think the cochise college would be good for him and get him a good start. I learn from my dad who was a welder and it was fun to learn at a young age. If he is serious about it after school I would look into one of the company's that forepaw mentioned or a big power company so you can get a retirement out of it.  Call or text if you have any other questions. 

CAID Industries in Tucson has there own "school". A lot of their projects need certified welders and walking in off the street with certs in hand means nothing. Any project that needs certs, and there are a bunch of different certs, the man will have to test and pass before they are allowed to strike an arc on a job. One nice thing that CAID does is allow the weldor to practice after work, they will supply all the material and have guidance from a CWI (Certified Weld Inspector) providing the welder has done the schoolwork and can pass the written test. Also, a welding test that has been passed means a bump in pay. Each upgrade, same thing.

There are as many different types of certs as there are parent organizations (API, ASME, AWS to name a few) and types of welds (pipe, structural, pressure vessel, MIL spec, nuclear) and thicknesses. If you are welding for a living on any major project or series of projects, you will be tested again and again, so make peace with that and don't get frustrated. Even the best hand can have a bad day and blow a test.

One part of welding that gets overlooked is vision. A vision test sometimes is required by an employer because if you can't see, you can't weld.

• Like 3

Kev,

He can work welding and go to school at the same time, much like Arizonian said.

I'm amazed at the jobs available right now for anyone willing to work and can run a decent bead over a pipe toprail.

About a month ago I walked on to a job site building pole barns and a roping arena and was offered top dollar with no certs, or references.. There's a kid there making great money and gets time off for school. It's an employee's market.0330221632.thumb.jpg.231156013d8e815e97eafba336cdc78a.jpg

But you might have him investigate the health effects of years inhaling toxic crap.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, arizonian said:

CAID Industries in Tucson has there own "school". A lot of their projects need certified welders and walking in off the street with certs in hand means nothing. Any project that needs certs, and there are a bunch of different certs, the man will have to test and pass before they are allowed to strike an arc on a job. One nice thing that CAID does is allow the weldor to practice after work, they will supply all the material and have guidance from a CWI (Certified Weld Inspector) providing the welder has done the schoolwork and can pass the written test. Also, a welding test that has been passed means a bump in pay. Each upgrade, same thing.

There are as many different types of certs as there are parent organizations (API, ASME, AWS to name a few) and types of welds (pipe, structural, pressure vessel, MIL spec, nuclear) and thicknesses. If you are welding for a living on any major project or series of projects, you will be tested again and again, so make peace with that and don't get frustrated. Even the best hand can have a bad day and blow a test.

One part of welding that gets overlooked is vision. A vision test sometimes is required by an employer because if you can't see, you can't weld.

Can't see can't weld! That's where I'm at these days, but I'm not a professional welder. I just make my son do it.

40 minutes ago, Edge said:

Kev,

He can work welding and go to school at the same time, much like Arizonian said.

I'm amazed at the jobs available right now for anyone willing to work and can run a decent bead over a pipe toprail.

About a month ago I walked on to a job site building pole barns and a roping arena and was offered top dollar with no certs, or references.. There's a kid there making great money and gets time off for school. It's an employee's market.0330221632.thumb.jpg.231156013d8e815e97eafba336cdc78a.jpg

But you might have him investigate the health effects of years inhaling toxic crap.

There is very effective equipment to help with this issue.  Most companies that make welding hoods also offer a specially fitted pressurized filter system.  I use one all the time at work.  One of the best parts about them is there is air moving in the hood all the time.

12 hours ago, Edge said:

No kidding!  Being a dumbass and working for a guy that didn’t care about his employees has caused me many health issues. Years of inhaling welding smoke and fumes without ventilation or a welding mask has taken a heavy toll on my nervous system. Heavy metals are no joke!

5 hours ago, creed said:

No kidding!  Being a dumbass and working for a guy that didn’t care about his employees has caused me many health issues. Years of inhaling welding smoke and fumes without ventilation or a welding mask has taken a heavy toll on my nervous system. Heavy metals are no joke!

16 hours ago, galiuro mountain man said:

There is very effective equipment to help with this issue.  Most companies that make welding hoods also offer a specially fitted pressurized filter system.  I use one all the time at work.  One of the best parts about them is there is air moving in the hood all the time.

We're expected to grind, cut and use torches. Lots of opportunities for fumes. I caught a whif of smoke coming out of an old oil field pipe a couple weeks ago and about passed out. Wasn't welding at the moment, just working downwind.

My best friend went to Central Arizona for 2 years. His return on investment was beneficial. 

I work with a guy who used to do under water welding in Florida. Made good money. But just got tired and walked away.

4 hours ago, Edge said:

We're expected to grind, cut and use torches. Lots of opportunities for fumes. I caught a whif of smoke coming out of an old oil field pipe a couple weeks ago and about passed out. Wasn't welding at the moment, just working downwind.

So when I first started, there really wasn't anything more than "just try not to inhale the fumes."

Then it was wear a standard respirator if you like, or use a vacuum, and "try not to inhale the fumes."

A few years ago it became a fully enforced respirator when welding facility.  That is when I looked into different types.  Like I said above just about all of the quality manufacturers of welding safety equipment makes a positive pressure system.  I use a spedglas 9100fx with papr.  It is pricey, but so worth it for everything.  I can cut, grind, weld, or whatever you want being fed filtered air.  The bonus is moving air in the hood.  It is worth the money.  The hood has # 5-8 for cutting and #9-13 for welding.  The automatic dark shield will also lift and just be a grind shield with no shade. You are always protected if you choose to be.

So I don't weld at work anymore, but I still use a 3m papr system when required to have a respirator.  It has a much bigger filter than what wou want to wear on your face, and is positive pressure, so nothing slips through a poor fitting mask.  

Other manufacturers make very similar equipment, so you can buy whatever brand you like.

If welding is what the op's son wants to do, he needs to know there is some equipment that will do everything.

10 minutes ago, galiuro mountain man said:

So when I first started, there really wasn't anything more than "just try not to inhale the fumes."

Then it was wear a standard respirator if you like, or use a vacuum, and "try not to inhale the fumes."

A few years ago it became a fully enforced respirator when welding facility.  That is when I looked into different types.  Like I said above just about all of the quality manufacturers of welding safety equipment makes a positive pressure system.  I use a spedglas 9100fx with papr.  It is pricey, but so worth it for everything.  I can cut, grind, weld, or whatever you want without being fed filtered air.  The bonus is moving air in the hood.  It is worth the money.  The hood has # 5-8 for cutting and #9-13 for welding.  The automatic dark shield will also lift and just be a grind shield with no shade. You are always protected if you choose to be.

So I don't weld at work anymore, but I still use a 3m papr system when required to have a respirator.  It has a much bigger filter than what wou want to wear on your face, and is positive pressure, so nothing slips through a poor fitting mask.  

Other manufacturers make very similar equipment, so you can buy whatever brand you like.

If welding is what the op's son wants to do, he needs to know there is some equipment that will do everything.

papr = powered air purifying respirator

• Like 1