Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Getting into welding question

1 hour ago, galiuro mountain man said:

So when I first started, there really wasn't anything more than "just try not to inhale the fumes."

Yep same when I started.  

I used to blow coal black snot out my nose after a day of hardfacing with Ranite green tip. Throw in some organophosphate fumes when rebuilding injector knives and I am loaded up with good stuff.

I worked as a certified welding inspector for a power plant. The welders we have are amazing. Each got their start in every way mentioned and more. Here is my opinion- if he wants to weld the copper mines or power company is a great place to start. He should take every opportunity to grind, cut and strike an arch. Great welding is an art that has to be developed by hands on.

That said the college will provide a great opportunity for metallurgy and theory most on the job guys don’t get. Production welders follow welding plans prepared by an engineer. It’s like a recipe for each weld. Point being, he’ll be give angle, technique, rod required, inter pass temperature, weld thickness and such.

Good hunting for your son’s future-

• Like 4

In 3 months it'll be almost unbearable just to wear a welding helmet out doors.

30 minutes ago, Edge said:

In 3 months it'll be almost unbearable just to wear a welding helmet out doors.

Smh, erased what I was going to say, but I am a kinder gentler person now.  But, I wonder where this younger generation gets the idea that hands on work sucks.

Or something is too hard.  

Or, unbearable.  

Edited by galiuro mountain man
Forgot parts

Hey, 

To the op, sorry l let my keyboard get ahead of me.  If he really wants to weld, support it.  We need more like that in the world, especially now.  

Having been brought up, the safety side of the argument comes to mind. There are very effective ways to keep chronic illnesses from effecting people in the trades now days, look into some of the filtered helmets for welding. 

This last part is about how to get there.  There are college classes and tech schools that will give the basics, there is also getting on at certain places that have apprenticeships. There is a lot of companies in AZ that will teach you while you make a check if you are willing to learn. 

2 hours ago, galiuro mountain man said:

Smh, erased what I was going to say, but I am a kinder gentler person now.  But, I wonder where this younger generation gets the idea that hands on work sucks.

Or something is too hard.  

Or, unbearable.  

Are you addressing me? Lol 

Ive been welding since high school. I did take some classes at pima college because you could submit work to get certified by x-ray after the class and just to put something on my reume for a previous career fied. I did arc, mig and tig. I recommend doing that if there is time. Then you can get your foot in the door someplace and they will train you.

I am currently at (visiting) GD NASSCO where they build ships and they actually will put you through their school first and train you if needed. 

Lots of great info here guys thank you all. Ultimately I'm gonna let him make his choice but I'm slightly pushing for at least the certs just so he has time to still be a kid and not have to full on thrust himself into the real world. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 1:23 PM, forepaw said:

Kev, how much welding has he done already?  Enough to know that he will like it?  By the time I grad. from H.S. I had done oxy/acetylene, brazing, and arc welding in shop class, and some of the guys were doing MIG and TIG and learning some cool stuff.  I have done very little welding since, but I supervised trades and crafts guys, which included some top notch mechanics and welders.  I don't know exactly how they got their start, but it was years ago, and probably would not apply to conditions now.  I do know one came from the Navy (can't remember if he was Hull Technician or Damage Controlman rating), and the other was from WY so possibly the oil industry.  

With respect to 2 semesters, welding is now so technical that 2 semesters will just scratch the surface.  Hope he likes sitting in a classroom because there will be some math, metallurgy, physics, chemistry.  I say this because I went to trade school before I went to college, and even back in the '70s we had those subjects taught to us.  So like any education, it will be an investment in himself, and require a lot of sacrifice and $$.  Hard to say what is the right choice.  Some kids no doubt get their start at a local repair or mechanic shop, but  to be really well-rounded, and at all competitive, I think a formal apprenticeship or military schools would be needed.   Locally, the SSVEC or the generating station might have some opportunities - maybe Freeport - McMoran?  Apache Powder?  Southwest Gas?  I would think getting into an apprenticeship with these companies would be very difficult, but some kids do succeed at it.  Best of luck to him, sometimes getting from point A to point B is anything but a straight line.

With the global energy issues looming on the horizon, I think I would look at petro-chemical pipeline welding.  That is a well-paid and stable field, at least it used to be, but they can pick and choose from pretty much any list of candidates.

Good recommendations and info forepaw!

Interestingly enough the farming community in my day provided lots of on site training and while maybe not certifiable without some real instruction it was a lot of fun as a kid and something that has provided me with work opportunities through the years.

Having said that, here in the White Mountains we have the NAVIT program for the programs listed below. We have a lot of students that finish high school with a certification that then springboards them on to other avenues. I am not exactly sure what certification the can get but it is a very good path for our high school kids. 

I know this is late for catfish and his kid but for others it is a great option to get the wheels rolling!!!

• Like 1