Red Rabbit

Perfect Coues Rifle

If you were to build your "perfect" custom rifle for Coues hunting only, how would you build it?  Choice of action, barrel (brand, length, contour, twist), chambering, bullet choice, stock, trigger, magazine, scope mounts, scope. etc?  Why would you choose those components?

• Like 1

I'd build a custom 7-08 on a defiance action with a proof carbon fiber barrel ,manners stock ,trigger tec trigger ,Nightforce nx8 or atacr scope,Nightforce or sphur 20 moa mounts.My choice of build components is based on the need for a lighter 7-08 as my other is heavy .It is my grandfather's old interarms mauser action built by Keith at Phoenix custom rifles and is a absolute tack driver but was built with a long brux barrel 26 inches and a McMillan a3-5 adjustable stock and and a timmney trigger.

I would build a 25 CM  (I just had a 25SST built from Todd South that is about perfect except it maybe too much for ONLY Coues) You could get away with less if Coues was your only game.  MY 25SST should hammer elk out to 800+ right now it has only killed a bull at just under 400 yards.  I have a 25CM that has killed lots of Coues but it isn't a pack gun. So I would go with the 25CM caliber but built how I had my 25 SST built. 

Defiance AnTI action

I love my proof barrel but I've heard they have had some recent issues with QC.  1:7.5 20-22" with suppresor. 

135 Berger or 131 blackjack, I've been extremely happy with the performance on game. 

I really like my AG alpine hunter stock

Triggertech 

Tangent Theta 315m   

Lots of Lances influence on the above build. 

I chose them for overall light weight but not compromising long range if necessary. I also like the 25 calibers because they have some of the best BC bullets available and not everyone is shooting them. 

Can't resist to post critters again. 

My 25 CM

0114201334a.thumb.jpg.08fe349c1f7b7d768e444aebeba67257.jpg

1932868651_0118200939g_HDR2.thumb.jpg.d7e141e0bc86531bdcb026f40fef6603.jpg

My 25sst

20211015_175913.thumb.jpg.2acfdb1d77cc58cb3d2daa13b5012c02.jpg

VideoCapture_20211113-090854.thumb.jpg.003c576d1424923048363b4ba28cb333.jpg

IMG-20220121-WA0000.thumb.jpg.d973d3848ed9dae995b8f5fb8d53b7cb.jpg

• Like 5

I would like to build something that with a scope tops out at 5.5 - 6.5 pounds.  It should have a conventional shaped hunting stock. Barrell no more than 23", trigger about 1.5#'s. Either a 6 or 6.5 mm shooting a 115 to 130gr bullet at 3100 to 3300. The magazine needs to be flush with the stock. Price range of $3500.

Scope, something with turrets FFP probably no more that 20X since it's for hunting not looking at the milkyway. 44mm Objective with 3.75 - 4" eye relief with probably a 30mm tube. No real budget but I'd like to keep it under $4K.

I have built two. First; Winchester 270, REM700 LA ADL, 24" Lilja #3 barrel, tuned up REM trigger, Brown Precision pounder kevlar stock, Talley Lightweight rings and a Swaro Z3 3-9X36. Built by High Tech Customs in Colorado. Very light and very accurate with Hornady 140 SST Superformance ammo. Figured the 270 was about the most ideal Coues cartridge, especially with a 140 gr SST bullet starting at 3100 + FPS. SST has worked at least a dozen times Fromm 330 yards to 60 yards. Second rifle 6.5C in a Defiance Deviant Hunter with a 24" Brux #4 barrel, Trigger Tech Special in a Grayboe Terrain stock. Grayboe BDL magazine, Vortex rings and Leupy VX-6 HD built by Phoenix Customs. Doubles as a Silhouette Rifle, no trouble knocking down Rams at 500 meters.  The 6.5C weighs 9lb 9oz, makes for a solid shooter at longer ranges with less recoil than the 270, the Creed works fine for shots out to 500 which is about as far as I want to shoot at a buck. I like the traditional stock profile because it handles naturally like a shotgun shooting quail you jumped up, just like bucks do sometimes.

• Like 1

If I was flush with cash I would call Jim Borden and have him build the lightest,  flatest shooting rifle that he could, then have him top it with something light that I could see the ring around Saturn with.  In reality since I havent/won't hit the lottery, I'll probably still use my .270.

• Like 2

I built a 28 Nosler through Owens Armory. I didn’t want to have to build multiple rifles to hunt different species so I had a rifle built that I could use for everything. I had it chambered to shoot the longer heavier bullets.

Defiance AnTi X action

McMillan Game warden carbon stock

Proof barrel

Area 419 break

TriggerTech Diamond trigger 

NightForce NX-8 scope

Could have pinched the weight a little more if I wanted but thought it would be a compromise with a magnum cartridge while still being packable. Now if I could actually find powder/bullets/primers to actually work up a load

• Like 2

I already have it, but is a little heavy for my taste (12 lbs) I wish I would have gone with a lighter barrel? or maybe a carbon barrel?  But is very accurate! McMillan Stock, Timney Triger, Remington Action and Bartlein barrel in 6.5 WSM

To answer the OP's original question.   The best coues deer rifle is the one that you actually learn to shoot and practice with.  Most guns can shoot sub 1/2 MOA but most guys shouldn't be shooting past 400 yards and struggle to hit animals (on the first shot) at that distance.   So, pick a gun, any gun and get really, really good with it.    That is the perfect gun.    FYI - this is the perfect time of the year to be sending pills down the tube.   

• Like 4

25SST.

Kelbly Nanook SA mag bolt face

22" 1:7.5" Bartlein #13CF

TBAC CB w. Ultra 7

Manner MCS-LRH

Hawkins Hunter DBM 

Accurate .300WSM 3 round magazines

Triggertech Diamond @ 6oz

ARC M10 rings 

Tangent Theta TT315M w. Gen 3XR 

Flatline Ops level 

Should finish around 8-8.5lbs

Shoot a 133 Berger Elite/135 LR Hyb around 3050-3100 and be a laserbeam.

• Like 4

Terminus Apollo Light- preference to a 60 degree bolt lift.

Gunwerks Clymer- I like the negative comb and flatter toe line.  With Arca tripod mount.  BDL floor as I dislike holding a stock with a DBM.  Most grips with ambidextrous palm swells seem too fat for my small hands.  I would have it film dipped in a walnut grain as I prefer nicely grained wood stocks.

Bartlein 2b 22" 1-7.5" 5R.  Threaded for suppressor.  Black nitrided.  I thought of a CF wrapped barrel, but still like the look of nice wood and blued metal.

6.5 SAUM - I have a 6.5 WSM and like its ballistics.  Better quality brass should be available for the SAUM.

Triggertech Diamond.

Tangent Theta 3-15x50 LRH

I have a Winchester 70 Super Grade in 6.5 WSM, but find it a little heavy approaching 10 pounds scoped.

I've been thinking about this a lot since last fall (I suppose most of us do), trying to improve my skills and equipment.

Last fall I used what I would call a "general purpose" hunting rifle on my coues hunt.

• Blueprinted R700
  • 7 saum
  • 22" Brux barrel
  • Zeiss 4-16 scope
  • Bell and Carlson traditional sporter shaped stock
  • Weighs just over 9lbs empty

It's a really nice "all-rounder". 

I have a suppressor currently in jail so I expect to use that next season. This will at 10-12oz to my setup. 

I think my "ideal" is actually two different rifles. 

1. A truly lightweight setup similar to what the @lancetkenyon and @Red Rabbit listed above so I can stay in that 8-9lb range with the suppressor
  2. A heavyweight setup in a chassis. Something that is much easier to shoot at long range. Chambered in a cartridge that I would shoot a lot (economical, not a barrel burner, low recoil). Something like a PRS gun. I'm thinking 15-20lbs

When I know I'm hiking long distances or doing lots of climbing. Sometimes I know I'm only going a short distance and perhaps coming back to the truck at midday, that's when #2 would be nice.

6 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

25SST.

Kelbly Nanook SA mag bolt face

22" 1:7.5" Bartlein #13CF

TBAC CB w. Ultra 7

Manner MCS-LRH

Hawkins Hunter DBM 

Accurate .300WSM 3 round magazines

Triggertech Diamond @ 6oz

ARC M10 rings 

Tangent Theta TT315M w. Gen 3XR 

Flatline Ops level 

Should finish around 8-8.5lbs

Shoot a 133 Berger Elite/135 LR Hyb around 3050-3100 and be a laserbeam.

Lance are you building this?

• Love 1