Red Rabbit

Perfect Coues Rifle

Mine is a bit dated, but I may be as well...

Pre 64win action, Jewell trigger

6.5-06 chambered Rock 5R 1-8" # 2 contour barrel finished at 23" 

McMillan hunters edge stock

Currently wearing a Leupold Mark 4 10x fixed power in S&K rings.

8 pounds loaded with sling. Typically used for week long Coues backpack hunts, but it did kill a big 6x6 bull with a Barnes 127 grain LRX.

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 2

Defiance Anti X action: I like Defiance quality and the Anti X weight. I'll give up a few ounces over TI for SS

Proof Research Sendero Light 1 in 8 twist: What more can I say

Gun Werks Climber Stock: If you've handled one you wont have to ask why....weight, ergo etc

Leupold 3x18 VX6 or Leupold Mark 5 3-18. Phenomenal scopes for the weight. and the Zlock is about the best out there. Personally I prefer the TMOA reticle.

Any of Timney Calvin elite, Jewell (absolutely my favorite although a little more finicky than the other 2),  or Trigger Tech Diamond set at 2lbs for hunting

Personally I want it under 6 Lbs before the scope. I'd be looking for a balance between weight and a comfortable 1000 yards.

And shooting a 6.5 PRC (or Wheatherby 6.5 RPM if LA is OK) Shooting The higher BC 130's and 140+ are simply amazing. And the 127 LRX will work fantasticly for elk at 600 and under.

• Like 1

Its very simple. The perfect coues rifle is zeroed at 300 and a foot low at 500. Topped With a mid powered scope

If you can't connect  within these parameters then drop 5k on a LR rig and learn to shoot turrets 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBIG10 said:

Its very simple. The perfect coues rifle is zeroed at 300 and a foot low at 500. Topped With a mid powered scope

If you can't connect  within these parameters then drop 5k on a LR rig and learn to shoot turrets 

Old school is still best for many people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

Dang 

my 7 STW shoots 160s at 3200 fps. I’m zeroed at 300 yards.  It drops about 2 feet at 500 yards. 

You must be shooting a lot faster or at a higher elevation then I am. 

1 hour ago, AZBIG10 said:

What rifle/bullet combo has the BC and velocity to have a 300 yard zero and only 12" of drop at 500?  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

What rifle/bullet combo has the BC and velocity to have a 300 yard zero and only 12" of drop at 500?  

Maybe this one or a 6.5 Creedmoor

20220410_194838.jpg

10 hours ago, SHOOTER said:

I’d like to see these sub 6# rifles run 1000 yards. 😂

I have a 5lb 4 oz rifle that shoots under 1/2”. 

This rifle can do it. 

Did you mean you say you’d like to see the shooter who can run 1000yds with a sub 6 lb rifle?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

24" 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, MMACFIVE said:

I have a 5lb 4 oz rifle that shoots under 1/2”. 

This rifle can do it. 

Did you mean you say you’d like to see the shooter who can run 1000yds with a sub 6 lb rifle?

You’re right. I don’t think the equipment is the issue. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SHOOTER said:

You’re right. I don’t think the equipment is the issue. 

I know for a fact with a light rifle I am the weakest link!