Sign in to follow this  
couesdeerhntr

Unit 23 north map

23 is a tough hunt on your body.   Especially for archery.  lots of up and down.

And yes cameras all over certain areas has of last weekend.  Of course these are for research purposes only.

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I always heard the jokes about cameras every 400 yards along the rez border. I went to 23 the first time in my life recently and yep, saw a lot of cams on the rez line 

A lot of wildlife watchers now days. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

23 north looks absolutely brutal, I can’t believe how steep and thick it is. There must be areas that are easier to hunt than where I was. 

That's basically how most of the unit is. I killed a bull in 23 on easier terrain and it still took 8 hours for 3 of us to pack it out. 

• Wow! 1

5 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

23 north looks absolutely brutal, I can’t believe how steep and thick it is. There must be areas that are easier to hunt than where I was. 

Ya i have been kicking my butt in here hiking around for sheds and looking for bears. Every canyon goes deep. Lost ten pounds past two weeks going hard in there and only have two browns to show for it. I have not seen a bear but did find some sign. I guess thats a success.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, couesdeerhntr said:

Ya i have been kicking my butt in here hiking around for sheds and looking for bears. Every canyon goes deep. Lost ten pounds past two weeks going hard in there and only have two browns to show for it. I have not seen a bear but did find some sign. I guess thats a success.

I've put on a good number of miles in there past seasons looking for sheds. It can be feast or famine. Very gnarly country, I remember one day puking on my hike out I was so exhausted.

Unit 23 North boundary description. Get out your highlighter and mark your map thusly:

63. 23 North Hunt Unit - That portion of Unit 23 located north of the follow-
ing: Beginning at the junction of Tonto Creek and Spring Creek; east along Spring Creek to FR 134; east on FR 134 
to FR 129; east on FR 129 to AZ Hwy 288; east on AZ Hwy 288 to FR 54; east on FR 54 to FR 202; south on FR 202 to FR 127; east on FR 127 to FR 127A; east on FR 127A to the White Mountain Apache Indian Reservation Boundary.

Sorry should have reworded that—Of course looking for bears is fun. Just don’t shoot one now that the sow quota has been met for the spring season

On 4/5/2022 at 8:44 AM, trphyhntr said:

My buddy got an elk there last last season. It was so steep, when I tripped coming down on the pack out, I thought I would never stop rolling. Thank goodness for trees.

• Like 1

Note:  in some places the Rez fence is little more than a single downed line of wire.  The elk also seam to know exactly where it’s at too.