maximus

Proposed fall, spring hunt recommendations for 2022-2023 available for review

I’m curious about the mandatory reporting as well?

2 hours ago, maximus said:

this are the guidelines for this fall and next year and usually those are the regs, but doesn't say anything about mandatory reporting.

some units have a very low threshold but the southern units a lot higher, 36B 230 and 34A 185, everybody is going south.

https://azgfd-portal-wordpress-pantheon.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/archive/AZ-Hunt-Guidelines-2018-2023_7-26-2019.pdf

Those thresholds for 36B and 34A are for whitetail and they won't even come close to being filled.

37 minutes ago, 654321 said:

Those thresholds for 36B and 34A are for whitetail and they won't even come close to being filled.

Lol so you think

but the reporting is it mandatory or not? it will be good to know. i always fill up the questionaire but if is mandatory how do they track that.

The southern units are very dangerous.  Fires, stolen trucks, camp robberies, roving bands of armed rip-off Mexicans.  That is why we need a 20 round clip Joe.

• Like 1

Commision approved all the orders, archery harvest reporting will be just like bear and lion, you can either call it in or do it online. Order 30 this year will be much like last year with 4 mule deer hunts, 3 whitetail, 3 elk and 1 goulds turkey.  Commissioner Davis wants to see the hunts more like the raffle and auction with year long seasons so expect to see some changes when they are brought up again at the December meeting.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 654321 said:

Commision approved all the orders, archery harvest reporting will be just like bear and lion, you can either call it in or do it online. Order 30 this year will be much like last year with 4 mule deer hunts, 3 whitetail, 3 elk and 1 goulds turkey.  Commissioner Davis wants to see the hunts more like the raffle and auction with year long seasons so expect to see some changes when they are brought up again at the December meeting.

What did he say about his reasoning? $$$$? 

22 minutes ago, CouesFanatic said:

What did he say about his reasoning? $$$$? 

I believe he felt the seasons were to short. The department has made no effort to hide these limited entry hunts as being pure money makers to help meet their $10M in 10 years goal.

I don't see the problem with the LE hunts. The number of tags allotted are not having an effect on game. I have zero issue with them raising money. As to the longer seasons, why not? It should make for more applicants which should raise more revenue.

Still don't like the OTC quotas. I would have preferred to see a draw.

• Like 1

My concern is where this is going. LE hunts may turn into hundreds of auction tags like Utah. Why have them a draw when you can get 10X or 100X the money with them all being auctioned? Its a slippery slope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CouesFanatic said:

My concern is where this is going. LE hunts may turn into hundreds of auction tags like Utah. Why have them a draw when you can get 10X or 100X the money with them all being auctioned? Its a slippery slope.

When the department brings the commission orders for deer to the commission in December make sure and send in your comments or if you can show up in person and fill out a blue card.  The same guy from the United States Humane society was at the meeting again today and spoke about the lion and bear orders, he's becoming a familiar face at the meetings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CouesFanatic said:

Of course that's going to happen.  People have been pushing for a Utah style expo/tag sale for years, and they will again in the next year or two.  Too much money to just walk away from the idea.  They are almost there with the recent anti non-resident sentiment that has been building.  Remember Utah took all their tags from the non-resident pool.

The department is going to run into the problem of diminishing returns on these extra tags.  Every year people are going to look at the odds and say no thanks.  Then the revenue will decrease.  Then they will increase the number of tags to compensate.  It will eventually spiral down to the point where 5 tags last year will bring in more revenue than 50 tags 5 years from now.  

• Like 2

Archery deer hunters:
Changes coming to over-the-counter,
nonpermit-tag opportunity 

Archery_Hunter_-_Silhouette.jpg?15597773

Arizona’s over-the-counter, nonpermit-tag archery deer hunting opportunity will continue for the 2022-2023 hunts, but harvest limits have been set by unit and by species. 

This approach is in accordance with hunt guidelines (www.azgfd.com/Hunting/Guidelines/) approved April 1, 2022, by the Arizona Game and Fish Commission. Harvest limits were set at 20 percent of the estimated harvest for a unit and species. Failure to report a harvest, as well as hunting in a closed unit, will be strictly enforced.

All over-the-counter archery deer hunters will be required to report their harvest either online or by phone within 48 hours of taking their deer (details to be published in the 2022-2023 Arizona Hunting Regulations booklet). When the number of deer equaling the archery deer harvest limit for a particular unit and species has been reported, the unit will be closed to further archery deer hunting at sundown the Wednesday immediately following. 

Hunters will be responsible for checking online or by telephone before hunting to determine if their desired hunt unit is still open. The department’s website will be updated continuously to reflect the number of deer harvested and whether a harvest limit has been reached and a unit is closed. 

So if the last deer killed to fill the quota is killed on a Friday, I could still hunt through  the following Wednesday?

How are they to strictly enforce this when you can't get one to respond to a violation that you have called in and are watching happen.  3 years ago I called in a violation. I was told a game warden would immediately contact me. I am still waiting. Same thing happened once before. I don't even bother now.