maximus

Proposed fall, spring hunt recommendations for 2022-2023 available for review

14 minutes ago, creed said:

So if the last deer killed to fill the quota is killed on a Friday, I could still hunt through  the following Wednesday?

Just like bear. I’m sure those extra kills prior to shutting the unit down on the following Wednesday were already factored into their “scientific” quota numbers. That’s why some units have low quotas. Another 3-5 kills by the following Wednesday won’t have much effect since the unit will be closed in a few days anyways.

But yeah, I get it. My favorite hunt won’t make it past August. Sucks. 

Comrade Davis says.  How many years can a person be a diminisher of the lame and fishy?

The potential problem I can envision with the quota for deer might be a group of antis putting in for tags and 20 of them calling the first day saying they shot a deer, effectively closing the unit  Hope G&F have some way to verify .  I know bear has the same system and it hasn't happened yet, (not that I'm aware of) but doesn't mean the antis wont try something like this.

2 hours ago, bigbuckfever said:

The potential problem I can envision with the quota for deer might be a group of antis putting in for tags and 20 of them calling the first day saying they shot a deer, effectively closing the unit  Hope G&F have some way to verify .  I know bear has the same system and it hasn't happened yet, (not that I'm aware of) but doesn't mean the antis wont try something like this.

It's OTC so "antis" don't have to put in for tags.  The reason it hasn't happened for bear and lion is you're required to physically check in your bear or lion. It would take a large amount of man power but AZGFD should have the same requirement for archery hunters with the mandatory harvest reporting.

• Like 2

Guys who may not have hunted much or at all in August/Sept due to the heat or prefer the rut hunt will now hunt earlier.  They will hunt earlier because they know their favorite Dec/January hunts may not even occur because the quota has been met already.  More guys hunting in August/Sept probably means even more units will meet quota & close sooner.  I am happy that the dept has worked with the archery community on a solution but there may be some flaws in new rules and they may have to be readdressed in a few years after there is some actual data.  At least there is a start.

Now we just need to come up with a realistic plan to limit non-residents to no more than 10% of otc tags per unit and get crossbows our of the archery hunts.  Muzzy and crossbow seasons should be together IMO.

Good start, that def. Needs some tweaks in my opinion.  A couple things I see are: actual physical proof of kill (picture with current date or evidence of date, or physical check in). Up the quota from 20%, because archery popularity has exploded from 20 years ago.  More hunters= more success/ quota.  Good start tho.

5 hours ago, 654321 said:

It's OTC so "antis" don't have to put in for tags.  The reason it hasn't happened for bear and lion is you're required to physically check in your bear or lion. It would take a large amount of man power but AZGFD should have the same requirement for archery hunters with the mandatory harvest reporting.

You're right, they don't have to put in for a draw-they only have to buy an OTC tag.  Easier for them to screw with the system.  If there's a quota system, there should be an actual check of their harvest like bear (or maybe a sworn legally binding statement attesting to the kill) to keep antis from pooping on our hunts.  Without some kind of check, it's just a matter of time before they effectively shut us out of hunts.

12 hours ago, bigbuckfever said:

I wouldn’t concern myself with that. First of all, they’d have to fork out $82 to do this. That’s a lot of money for people that only shower every three days. Might be some hard core antis pulling this stunt, but I don’t see a huge participation effort. 

Im sure(hope)G&F thought this scenario out. They’ll run reports and if there’s shenanigans, the data will show it. New license purchase second half of 2022, first hunting license ever purchased, no other tag/stamp history with G&F hunting or fishing, opening day success….etc 

• Haha 1