nateNAU

Upper lake mary

I was on parental duty this weekend and took the kids out fishing. Second cast I hooked this big walleye. 24". My biggest walleye and only the third I have ever caught out of here. 300 casts later we decided to call it a day!

20220402_093434.jpg

20220402_161437.jpg

• Like 15
  • Love 1

Just now, Red Rabbit said:

Nice walleye.  That should be your yearly allowance of mercury 😉

Haha probably. So interesting story, I had a G&f person come out and ask me a lot of questions about my fishing experience on upper lake mary one time. He asked me if I was keeping the fish and I told him now because of the mercury. He told me that for wild animals the epa set regulations and asked me when have I ever been concerned about what the epa says I should eat. The fda is what you typically defer too for food. Fda and epa have widely varying definitions of what is safe and that the fish in this lake are far better than any canned Tuna you can buy as far as mercury levels are concerned, his words. I don't know what to believe but I do know that mercury consumption is an issue over an individuals lifetime and us arizona land lovers get far less seafood than a lot of other individuals. Too be safe this will be the only high mercury fish we will eat for a while!

• Like 3

Nice! I'm still trying to get my first walleye. Fished lake Mary 5 or 6 times and still haven't caught one. How'd it taste? 

2 hours ago, OpticNerd said:

Nice! I'm still trying to get my first walleye. Fished lake Mary 5 or 6 times and still haven't caught one. How'd it taste? 

I will cook it tomorrow or monday and let you know. This is the first walleye that I have kept. I have had pike out of lake mary and they were great. I grew up on trout in Arizona and Montana and am absolutely burnt out on them. Any fish is better than a trout in my opinion.

• Like 3

I need to get my fly rod out to  ULM for some pike action!

We’re all gonna die from something. When I do, I prefer to  go out well fed and with a cold longneck in my hand   If you can’t enjoy the fruits of,the world why would you want to live longer?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Used to catch a bunch when I lived up there just threw a 3” chartreuse Berkely power grub on a quarter ounce jig head. Swam it close to the bottom like a crankbait. Points, flats with stumps, cuts/coves all were good. And yes very good eating 

EPA mercury suggestions are for a young pregnant woman.  Eat that fish.  PS Crappie taste better than walleye.

Part 2. Went back out today. Yesterday we were planning on fishing ashurst but found the gate closed and we had to change plans for mary. I had all light tackle set up for trout. Today we went back to upper, this time set up with bigger poles, heavier test and steel leaders. We were able to get a couple pike and failed to close the deal on about 4 more fish. 

20220403_121058.jpg

• Like 2