Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

Calibers for next years youth gun giveaway?

Calibers for the next youth gun giveaway?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What calibers would you like to see?

• 30-06
    • 6.5 creedmoor
    • 7-08

What calibers would you guys like to see for next years giveaway? I'd like it to be a off the shelf caliber that will work for elk and deer .Also gun suggestions ruger American,savage,browning ,etc.I'm open to anything .I'd like to get them with factory threaded barrels to lower cost for breaks . 

Thinking 243 on the low and no more than the 30-06.

Looks like most are 7-08 or 270.Anyone have any experience with the ruger american line? There go wild line has a 7-08 with some good options that will keep the overall cost down .I'm curious as to how they shoot and function w/o having to replace anything like you'd have to do with the axis line .

We have the Ruger American Go Wild in several calibers. They have all been extremely accurate rifles with the correct load. 

41 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

Looks like most are 7-08 or 270.Anyone have any experience with the ruger american line? There go wild line has a 7-08 with some good options that will keep the overall cost down .I'm curious as to how they shoot and function w/o having to replace anything like you'd have to do with the axis line .

I have an Axis and will say there are better rifles out there for about the same cost.

Another vote for 7mm-08.  I love that cartridge for youth, especially when you put a brake on it.  I got my daughter an Axis when she was 9.  I had a brake put on it to help her skinny frame.  I didn't want to drop a ton of money in case she didn't like it, but she's stuck with it.  Rather than upgrade to a new rifle, I upgraded the parts along the way.  That Axis is before the accutrigger, so I ended up putting a Timney in it, then put a Boyd's thumbhole stock on it for her to shore it up more.  I learned from that and bought my son a Savage 11 Trophy Hunter in 7mm-08.  It came with the accutrigger and I put a brake on it.  Definitely better out of the box than my daughter's Axis.  In its defense, though, her Axis has 5 different loads that all shoot sub-moa.  That's hard to complain about.  My son's does, too.

In the end, I agree with PRDATR.  As much as I love my daughter's Axis, I think there are better rifles out there for the money.

16 minutes ago, IA Born said:

Another vote for 7mm-08.  I love that cartridge for youth, especially when you put a brake on it.  I got my daughter an Axis when she was 9.  I had a brake put on it to help her skinny frame.  I didn't want to drop a ton of money in case she didn't like it, but she's stuck with it.  Rather than upgrade to a new rifle, I upgraded the parts along the way.  That Axis is before the accutrigger, so I ended up putting a Timney in it, then put a Boyd's thumbhole stock on it for her to shore it up more.  I learned from that and bought my son a Savage 11 Trophy Hunter in 7mm-08.  It came with the accutrigger and I put a brake on it.  Definitely better out of the box than my daughter's Axis.  In its defense, though, her Axis has 5 different loads that all shoot sub-moa.  That's hard to complain about.  My son's does, too.

In the end, I agree with PRDATR.  As much as I love my daughter's Axis, I think there are better rifles out there for the money.

I bought the Axis Compact in 243 back in early 2017. One of the holes for the scope mounts wasn't threaded properly so I sent it back. When I got it back they had mounted some cheapy bases on it so I took them off and put on some LW Talleys and mounted a Zeiss Terra I had bought a year or so earlier for about $175 that was on clearance. 

I also took the stock off and recentered the action as one side of the barrel was tight against it. Off to the range with some factory ammo and soon discovered that the factory 6 pound trigger had to go so I ordered a Rifle Basix from ER Brown for another $90. While I was waiting for it I sent the bolt to LRI and had it fluted as my goal was to have a light compact rifle for Javelina and Coyotes.

The trigger was a 10 minute install and while the rifle doesn't drive tacks it does well under MOA with factory ammo. All told I'm probably into it for north of $600.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CouesPursuit said:

We can't let this thread get to a second page without a 6.5 Creedmoor recommendation can we? 

It was so close to making it too.

• Haha 1