Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

Calibers for next years youth gun giveaway?

Calibers for the next youth gun giveaway?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What calibers would you like to see?

• 30-06
    • 6.5 creedmoor
    • 7-08

Its easier to find ammo right now for the .308 win.

7mm08 or you need to add 260 remington to the list 

Where's Lark when we need him? He says the 7-08 will bounce off a deer. And a .270 if you miss you best duck cuz it will come back around and hit you in the back of the head....and as far as the 6.5 goes b!tch biscuits are not in style anymore. .270 all the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Consider fitting whatever you choose with the LimbSaver recoil pad. That product really tames a 30-06 for kids shooting from a bench. I raised 2 boys and did not have a bunch of caliber options for them to choose from. There are also lots of managed recoil rounds on the market too for the youngest shooters to practice/get repetitions with. Then parents could dial in with 180gr as the kid likely won't notice recoil when shooting at game in the field. Plus, kids grow so darn fast. As stated above, I would stick with commonly available calibers. I believe that shot placement is more important than what caliber (within reason) for anything we hunt in AZ. Cool convo though and awesome you are encouraging the next generation of hunters!    

16 minutes ago, DutchmanAZ said:

how about a 25-06?

Something in a short action would be better as a youth gun. While a great round it drifted into obscurity with fewer and fewer offerings in rifles and it can be problematic to find factory ammo.

30-06.  Great all around caliber.   Ammo availability is great.  

I picked up a .243 for my kids to start with when they were younger.  Found though, that we quickly put it away and went to the 30-06.  (Bought that .243 from somebody on the site, and ended up selling it on the side too.😉)

3 of my kids grew up on the 260 remington and still shoot the same caliber today over the past 15 years killing 14 deer and 4 cow elk 2 bull elk and 1 Buffalo. I grew up shooting a 270 but in today's age i would recommend a break on a 270 . 260 not so much.