Sign in to follow this  
nateNAU

Whitehorse lake

Took the kids, wife and father-in-law out fishing Saturday. We decided to go to Whitehorse, a lake I haven't fished in over 10 years. I didn't know what to expect so I brought rigs for catfish, trout, crappie. Well the large mouth bass were sure hungry. We caught about 5 in the 11" range and I caught this nice 16"er that was almost 3 lbs. These were my first largemouth I've ever caught. On Sunday I took my son out shed hunting here around Flagstaff and we did turn up 1 muley shed. Overall a good weekend outdoors.

IMG_0611~2.jpg

20220410_092129.jpg

• Like 17

On 4/12/2022 at 10:38 AM, nateNAU said:

Took the kids, wife and father-in-law out fishing Saturday. We decided to go to Whitehorse, a lake I haven't fished in over 10 years. I didn't know what to expect so I brought rigs for catfish, trout, crappie. Well the large mouth bass were sure hungry. We caught about 5 in the 11" range and I caught this nice 16"er that was almost 3 lbs. These were my first largemouth I've ever caught. On Sunday I took my son wear ranboo merch shop merch out shed hunting here around Flagstaff and we did turn up 1 muley shed. Overall a good weekend outdoors.

IMG_0611~2.jpg

20220410_092129.jpg

Thank you for providing this information. I'd want to organise a trip with my family as well. Suggestions for a three-day excursion to a cool location are welcome.

8 hours ago, joeblack183 said:

Thank you for providing this information. I'd want to organise a trip with my family as well. Suggestions for a three-day excursion to a cool location are welcome.

If you are coming to northern Arizona, I would suggest the Williams area for fishing. We have had decent luck at Dogtown, Whitehorse and kaibab lake. Around Flagstaff you have upper lake Mary and Ashurst. Mary is decent but you will mostly catch pike and I don't know why I keep going to Ashurst. I have caught fish probably 2% of the times I have fished it and I have lived here my whole life and fished it a lot. It's also a good time to take some small hikes around these areas as you might find an elk shed! 

On 4/27/2022 at 11:16 PM, nateNAU said:

If you are coming to northern Arizona, I would suggest the Williams area for fishing. We have had decent luck at Dogtown, Whitehorse and kaibab lake. Around Flagstaff you have upper lake Mary and Ashurst. Mary is decent but you will mostly catch pike and I don't know why I keep going to Ashurst. I have caught fish probably 2% of the times I have fished it and I have lived here my whole life and fished it a lot. It's also a good time to take some small hikes around these areas as you might find an elk shed! 

I live in Flag and need to get out chasing pike at ULM, especially with my 9wt fly rod.  Any spots better than others?

On 5/2/2022 at 10:11 AM, IA Born said:

I live in Flag and need to get out chasing pike at ULM, especially with my 9wt fly rod.  Any spots better than others?

I don't think there is really better spot than others. I've done well at one end of the lake to the other. I prefer to fish the narrows. In my mind that choke point is good, even if the fish are deep because you can cast almost to the middle. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 11:16 PM, nateNAU said:

….and I don't know why I keep going to Ashurst. 

Haha, I say the same thing! But I enjoy it out there. I usually park at the first pull in as you’re heading north around the lake. 

I need to hit Kaibab soon. Been awhile since I’ve tried it. 

3 hours ago, Newbie2012 said:

I need to hit Kaibab soon. Been awhile since I’ve tried it. 

I took the wife and boy for Mothers Day. We only fished a couple of hours due to the wind. We kept enough for a good dinner. 

fishing1.jpg

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

I took the wife and boy for Mothers Day. We only fished a couple of hours due to the wind. We kept enough for a good dinner. 

fishing1.jpg

Awesome!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Thats a muddy lake, is it always like that?

We don't have any clear water up here in any of the lakes. It's amazing a fish could even find a lure.

We had a race at that lake a few years back, 1.2 mile swim and i had to brush my teeth 4 times to get the grit out. haha