Sneaker

Mesa Elk Banquet and Auction

Did anyone go on Saturday? It was my first time and wow, some guys really like to throw down some coin haha. Actual purchases are tax deductible after all! The statewide Elk Tag went for $255k to... Dan Adler?? Or a client of his maybe that had him set up the bidding on his behalf perhaps? Couldn't really tell, was really strange actually at the end of the bidding on that one because it was kind of a secret until they were finished and then said the winner is Dan, and I couldn't tell what was going on exactly. Maybe those hunting shows pay better than I thought. Dan was the emcee of the whole thing so it made it even more confusing and my conflict-of-interest hairs stand up lol. I'm sure it was all fine, highest bidder wins so not all that complicated of a process but our whole table was confused. Some of you will notice the "not Dan" in his Linkedin profile photo...

image.png.4d1e1c74e8529cb066479e325d60c5c3.png

Sorry it was a rambling post. The working-on-being-famous Dan Adler both was the emcee of the banquet and the purchaser of the auction tag at the same time. It confused us all. Then I went on a tangent about bonecollector777 being in Dan's Linkedin profile picture, the "not Dan".  Or maybe its his brother and I'll be eating crow and get banned for the profiling.

image.png.2de460b0368b88a95bd59a14067770df.png

21 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

are you saying something illegitimate happened at the banquet?

What does bc777 have to do with it? 

man I hate obtuse posts. 

He’s the guy on the left 

I heard that Dan was bidding for Mike Gallo. He won both the state elk tag and the Hualapai elk tag that night. Not 100% sure on that, but that’s what I was told. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

Yeah but what’s the relevance? Who is this Dan guy? What is this thread about 

I think it’s about him being confused and now trying to confuse us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dan's been the MC at all the SCI banquets I've been to in Tucson.

I went. It was my first time too so I didn’t understand much either lol. I was shocked when the elk tag went for over 250k and the Buffalo tag only went for 30 something. I wasn’t worried about any conflict of interest but that’s weird that Blake is in Dan’s linkdin profile, you’d think he woulda changed that by now

I went with a friend of mine and his wife a few years back and the guy at the table with us had bid on the elk tag.Its not always what you think as the bids were set and they already new what the tag would go for .Most is just for show .That year the tag went for about the same money to some rich guy that had sent his ranch hand to the banquet.They do verification on the bidders ability to pay and usually have a set max that they will pay.I will say they make a ton of money with all the raffle and drawings and I did win a cool pack from them .I use it for all my tree stand stuff .

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

I went with a friend of mine and his wife a few years back and the guy at the table with us had bid on the elk tag.Its not always what you think as the bids were set and they already new what the tag would go for .Most is just for show .That year the tag went for about the same money to some rich guy that had sent his ranch hand to the banquet.They do verification on the bidders ability to pay and usually have a set max that they will pay.I will say they make a ton of money with all the raffle and drawings and I did win a cool pack from them .I use it for all my tree stand stuff .

I’ve been around several auction tags in my life, and never was there a preset price, they were always a true auction and the willing bidders set the price.  Usually higher then anyone anticipated.  

• Like 6

It was the only tag that you didn't see a single bidders number raised and the amounts keep going up.All the other tags in the auction you'd see the bidders .I thought it was weird and that's the story I got.The price of the tag wasn't set just the maximum the guy was allowed to offer.I could be wrong and I'm sure there are some members in the elk society that can clear it up.Good thing is that if they did the banquet we should soon see new in the box guns in the classified.

1 hour ago, Crazymonkey said:

It was the only tag that you didn't see a single bidders number raised and the amounts keep going up.All the other tags in the auction you'd see the bidders .I thought it was weird and that's the story I got.The price of the tag wasn't set just the maximum the guy was allowed to offer.I could be wrong and I'm sure there are some members in the elk society that can clear it up.Good thing is that if they did the banquet we should soon see new in the box guns in the classified.

The real high dollar tags are always bought by phone bidders.  So you aren’t gonna see them at the auctions.  

• Like 5