Sign in to follow this  
4huntrs

Leupold Problem..Maybe

13 hours ago, MMACFIVE said:

I have lots of Leupold scopes. 

My Turret scopes are a couple of VX3's, many VX6's, several VX5's, and a Mark 5. I guess I've been lucky but I've never had a tracking problem. 

I like them for their cost and weight.

I have 3 VX3i LRP scopes. Two of them are on rifles that I used in PRS matches, one was dialed up and down for 910 rounds and the other dialed up and down for 1300 rounds. The third one on a NRL22 match rifle that also gets dialed up and down. Several Leupold scopes on Silhouette rifles that get dialed up and down every monthly match. The final dial up scope is a VX6 HD 3-18 scope that has been on a 270 hunting rifle and now on my silhouette/deer hunting rifle that has about 800 rounds down the tube. One of the most used is a fixed 6X on my 30-06 that has been well used and banged around some, this scope does not get dialed around much but has taken some hard knocks and still good. I also like them for their cost and weight. It is interesting to read on these posts the divergence  in experience. One group states they have a number of Leupolds and no problem and the other is, I and my friends have had them all fail and do not trust them anymore. Strange the the stark difference.  All my dial up scopes are on 6.5C or 270 Win and get mounted using a torque wrench. Lots of times the dissatisfied customers are using magnums. Makes me wonder ?????

10 hours ago, 257 STW said:

I have never had an issue with mine i have a few HD5 and HD6 but have recently bought a few Zeiss V4s and V6s and like them better the turret is smooth and glass is brighter and clearer through my eyes . There also a little lighter. 

Of all the like options in the Leupold VX6 HD and Zeiss V4/V6 line the VX6 HD 3-18X44 is the lightest. 

7 hours ago, AZAV8ER said:

I have 3 VX3i LRP scopes. Two of them are on rifles that I used in PRS matches, one was dialed up and down for 910 rounds and the other dialed up and down for 1300 rounds. The third one on a NRL22 match rifle that also gets dialed up and down. Several Leupold scopes on Silhouette rifles that get dialed up and down every monthly match. The final dial up scope is a VX6 HD 3-18 scope that has been on a 270 hunting rifle and now on my silhouette/deer hunting rifle that has about 800 rounds down the tube. One of the most used is a fixed 6X on my 30-06 that has been well used and banged around some, this scope does not get dialed around much but has taken some hard knocks and still good. I also like them for their cost and weight. It is interesting to read on these posts the divergence  in experience. One group states they have a number of Leupolds and no problem and the other is, I and my friends have had them all fail and do not trust them anymore. Strange the the stark difference.  All my dial up scopes are on 6.5C or 270 Win and get mounted using a torque wrench. Lots of times the dissatisfied customers are using magnums. Makes me wonder ?????

All my other Leupolds are on 270 class or less, never any issues. When I told the Leupold rep that both rifles it a issue with were 300wm he said makes no difference between that or 22lr. 

• Like 2

Leupold is a set it and leave it scope and they are great for that.  If dials are desired, pick something else.  I too have had problems with the vx6.  I have a Schmidt & Bender and it has never had a problem with dialing.  I hear Nightforce is good, but I can’t comment on them because I don’t have one yet, I may get one for my next dialed scope, not sure yet since S&B has proven themselves to me.