Sign in to follow this  
lonne

Spring Bear 2023?

See my post in Campfire under:

Antis at it again, Lions and Bears

Is the recommended Spring Bear Hunt process still ongoing or is it finished?  And is this true?

Here is the post.  I hope someone can tell me nothing to see here and that I overreacted.  Too many antis moving into my State of Arizona.

First, HAPPY EASTER everyone.

Second.  Hopefully I'm just misunderstanding something here.  Friend just tipped me off to this yesterday.  Please tell me it isn't true and that the Spring bear "recommended hunts" process isn't finished yet?  It looks like the Arizona Spring Bear Archery hunts (May through July) that there are no hunts currently recommended...

https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/guidelines/

See this link:
AZ Hunt Recommendations - Fall 2022 and Spring 2023

Here is the direct link to the PDF

https://azgfd-portal-wordpress-pantheon.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/archive/AZ-Hunt-Recommendations-Fall-2022-and-Spring-2023.pdf

See page 36 and 37

image.png.cd6d3e60abbcebc268e9aae194dfbcd8.png

This article from the "antis" seems to possibly indicate otherwise...and this process isn't finished yet?

https://biologicaldiversity.org/w/news/press-releases/arizona-game-and-fish-fails-to-ban-spring-bear-hunting-with-new-guidelines-2022-04-01/

it was good while it lasted... my son's 13 bonus points for bear were a waste of $$$

• Like 1

This was the last hunt proposal under the previous 5 year guidelines, Fall 2018 through Spring 2023.

Spring 2024 will fall under the recently approved 5 year guidelines, Fall 2023 through Spring 2028, and Spring bear was included in them. Don’t give up hope. They may return in Spring 2024.  🤞

111029E1-B005-4ADC-A9DE-9CEB64AA0A2A.jpeg.87e1b696fd84440926ae83085edc8306.jpeg

In Spring, after hibernation, bears need to eat greens to get their digestive system going again... once they eat some grasses and poop out their "plug" they switch to a more varied diet. At least this is what an long time bear hunter in Colorado taught me, many years ago ;)

Spring regs are up. OP’s prediction came true. All spring bear hunts end late April 2023. And no archery draw options—everything’s OTC general. 

6 hours ago, HighschoolHunter said:

Spring regs are up. OP’s prediction came true. All spring bear hunts end late April 2023. And no archery draw options—everything’s OTC general. 

Total bummer, so I have 15 points for bear??? Will I ever get to use them?

• Like 1

“I’m hopeful that these little improvements to the guidelines are just the start. We’ll push to keep strengthening protections for bears and mountain lions in Arizona and make sure the agency hears from wildlife watchers and conservationists,” said Ressler. The Center for Biological Diversity is based in Tucson AZ.                                                                                                                                                   https://biologicaldiversity.org/w/news/press-releases/arizona-game-and-fish-fails-to-ban-spring-bear-hunting-with-new-guidelines-2022-04-01/

FYI Green Trojan Horse known as Backcountry Hunters and Anglers love them some Center For Biological Diversity and Sierra Club.  

• Like 1

Wow that sucks. I'm glad I didn't have any bear points. Feel bad for you guys that do..

Maybe game and fish will grow a sack and manage based on science instead of feelings.

• Like 2

Just now, CatfishKev said:

Wow that sucks. I'm glad I didn't have any bear points. Feel bad for you guys that do..

Maybe game and fish will grow a sack and manage based on science instead of feelings.

Agreed! The anti’s got there way with lion hunting and have it closed for 3 months