daverp

Finally going home. AZ here we come!

Have been absent the forum for a while.  I came down with heart issues 3 years ago (corrected via stent, no damage), and mom came down sick.  Haven't stepped foot in AZ dirt in 3 years, except for the time I took the future wife of last 11 years to Sedona to propose.  Had to turn my U10 deer tag back in unused in October as I couldn't leave mom alone.   Didn't apply for elk this year either.

Grew up in Parks and Flagstaff.  Left my home at 18 years to join the Army for a few years, with an eye at that time of getting out after three, and putting in application with Flag PD.  

One thing led to another, and I would up doing 10 years in the Army.  Korea, Fort Ord, CA, Germany and South Carolina.  All those years longed to be back.  We moved around a bit as a kid, but the one spot I always thought of as "home" was our secluded campsite up in the Hobbles in U7w.  Didn't matter where we lived in AZ, we were up there often for camping, elk hunting, etc.

Got out of the Army and got back to AZ briefly for about a year in the midst of a nasty split and custody battle.  Then it was off to Kalifornia to stay with family while I continued the battle.

Got my son back, but never got AZ back.  Wound up staying out here due to solid work, 50/50 custody, and stability.

All those years, and countless trips back with the boy to show him what AZ had to offer.  Elk hunts, deer hunts, predator hunts, trout in the white mountains.  We had a great time, but it was just never enough making those 3 to 6 trips a year out.

We had toyed once or twice with the idea of moving, but an elderly mom here kept us pretty much locked in.  I'm the only family she had close who could help.  Mom passed 6 weeks ago.

Then a few weeks later, out of nowhere, the woman texted "want to move to AZ?"  I said "sure".  She didn't think I'd take it seriously, but I was.  

Two weeks later, the deal was sealed.  Her company offered a transfer to their Tempe office.  She accepted.  No cut in pay from her current CA salary, which is quite nice.

Walking away from a 25 year job that pays nicely - with nothing lined up in AZ - is nerve racking.  But worst case, I've got enough to live off of for a few years.  Not that I want to do that, and dig into part of the retirement nest egg.  Will be looking for work as soon as we get fully settled in.

Almost said "no" due to the anxiety of walking away from a 25 year job, but knew I'd kick myself the rest of my life if I didn't make this move.   Opportunity may never come up again until retirement, and the timing couldn't actually be better.

So, I'm back as of July 1st.  Getting house emptied and up for sale (good time to sell!), and packing up. 

Won't be applying or hunting as a resident this year, but next year, good to go. 

Almost biggest concern at this point is saving a sufficiently nice bowel movement to deposit on the west side of the Colorado before I cross over for the last time.😀 

• Like 17

Sorry to hear that your Mother passed away...I've been laying down boot leather in and around the Hobble Mnts. since 1st being shown that area in the early 1970s...it is still an awesome place to explore...glad to hear you'll be moving back to the Flagstaff area...that's a dream many have and few get to see happen...if you have a CDL Flagstaff's solid waste dept. is always looking for drivers...

5 minutes ago, drcarr said:

Sorry to hear that your Mother passed away...I've been laying down boot leather in and around the Hobble Mnt. since 1st being shown that area in the early 1970s...it is still an awesome place to explore...glad to hear you'll be moving back to the Flagstaff area...that's a dream many have and few get to see through.....

Won't be moving to Flag unfortunately.  That may have to wait 10 years or so until retirement for that.  Then Flag, Prescott, Sedona....who knows.  Somewhere out of the valley.

But will be looking presently to relocate to Chandler / Gilbert area.  After living in Kalifornia all these years, close enough for me.  The Hobbles and U10 each a bit over 3 hours away.  White Mountains about 4.  Compared to 6 and 8 to 12 hour drives now to get to those places.   The ability to get to places easily for weekends will be life changing.  Aside from all the other numerous benefits to being back in Az compared to this chithole.

• Like 1

I'm sorry for your loss but you proved by your actions how to be a good, dutiful son. Your mom, no doubt, appreciated that but you also taught your son an invaluable and irreplaceable lesson on the importance of family.  And you taught that lesson by your actions, not merely words.

Now, welcome back to our beloved Arizona!  You'll be glad that you made the move now instead of waiting for more "security" because each additional year of "security" is one less year of being mobile enough to really explore and experience this great Arizona landscape.

Looks like I'm taking the long way around the barn.  To be more concise: Welcome Back!  Looking forward to hearing about your adventures with your son.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, daverp said:

Won't be moving to Flag unfortunately.  That may have to wait 10 years or so until retirement for that.  Then Flag, Prescott, Sedona....who knows.  Somewhere out of the valley.

But will be looking presently to relocate to Chandler / Gilbert area.  After living in Kalifornia all these years, close enough for me.  The Hobbles and U10 each a bit over 3 hours away.  White Mountains about 4.  Compared to 6 and 8 to 12 hour drives now to get to those places.   The ability to get to places easily for weekends will be life changing.  Aside from all the other numerous benefits to being back in Az compared to this chithole.

One thing about taking the weekend warrior route, is since Covid, everyone from the valley has had the same mind set. Driving uphill on a Friday and back on a Sunday is crazy these last few years. But welcome home!

1 hour ago, zackcarp said:

One thing about taking the weekend warrior route, is since Covid, everyone from the valley has had the same mind set. Driving uphill on a Friday and back on a Sunday is crazy these last few years. But welcome home!

It's about to get worse on the 260. Road construction starting in a few months and lasting through mid 2024.

Already started on the 260 will be repaving a big chunk of White Mountain Rd in Show Low.  Most work will be done over night will be interesting this summer…

• Like 1