Sign in to follow this  
Gringo

23 North Early Archery

Norteno- enjoyed the 23N archery video! Even more to hear you DIY!! Congrats 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 10:47 PM, 6AYoteHunter said:

Make sure have lots of help for the pack out. 23 and 27 are the only AZ units I would pass on a bull due to terrain. My 23 bull tipped over backwards off a cliff on an oak tree growing in oak brush. Had to de-bone a lot of it balancing on the bull. Packout was insane...and waited for him to leave the really bad spots in the canyon before shooting. Could barely walk after sleeping and had two friends helping. Have packed out other bulls solo over further distances but brush plus steep loose rock and the occasional cliff is tough. 

Rugged af in there

3 hours ago, 208LOGAN said:

I was lucky enough to draw a 23 tag last year.  While it was not on an early hunt I still knew the potential of bulls that could come out of the unit.  I agree with the above comments that have sounded like. " If you have time to scout and want to go diy... then it should be a fun hunt. If you don't do yourself a favor and hire a guide."  I personally did not have time to scout the unit and so I hired A3. Was the best decision I could have made.  The knowledge of the area and animals they had was amazing and I was able to harvest my biggest bull.  I personally know it would not have happened without them.

What did that cost?

13 hours ago, SunDevil said:

What did that cost?

I am not sure what cost are currently... I am sure they have gone up with the cost of fuel the way that it is.   Last year it was 5k which was the most affordable among the guides that were recommended.  Worth every penny if you don't have the time to scout.  That is a very tough unit to walk into without knowledge or lots of time in the field.  A3 did an amazing job.

2 week hunt in the rut, plenty of time to find a big bull with no scouting if you’re slightly early season elk savvy imo. No scouting and a few days to hunt maybe not, but wouldn’t rule it out 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 8:23 PM, Norteno said:

I’m no videographer but here is my 23N archery hunt.  There are a ton of bulls in the unit.  If you want a 375+ you’ll need some good scouting but it’s easily achievable.  My only regret is shooting the first bull I had in range on day 2.  Wish I would have hunted longer, but I was happy getting my bull DIY with my Dad by my side.  Saw some monsters in there.  
I ran into A3 on day 2 of my pack out.  Tried to wave them down to chat and give some help and they instead almost ran me off the road in their Ranger.  I later found out 4 of their group of 5 hunters tagged out.  The female who was in the Ranger with them did not.  

Man! You have some speed on those stalks. Lol, awesome bull!

I know he speeded up the video but it was like watching a video game.

Congrats on the bull...

On 7/29/2022 at 8:23 PM, Norteno said:

I’m no videographer but here is my 23N archery hunt.  There are a ton of bulls in the unit.  If you want a 375+ you’ll need some good scouting but it’s easily achievable.  My only regret is shooting the first bull I had in range on day 2.  Wish I would have hunted longer, but I was happy getting my bull DIY with my Dad by my side.  Saw some monsters in there.  
I ran into A3 on day 2 of my pack out.  Tried to wave them down to chat and give some help and they instead almost ran me off the road in their Ranger.  I later found out 4 of their group of 5 hunters tagged out.  The female who was in the Ranger with them did not.  

Sweet video! Hard to pass up any bull looking like that

Thanks for sharing video.  I have heard all kinds of horror stories about hunting 23 and 27 as being very physical.  After watching the video first thing I noticed is there are no rock and boulders to walk and trip over.  The areas I hunt may not be up and down hard but the rocks kick your butt.  That almost looked like walking on a carpeted floor.  My ankles would scream for joy if I ever hunted someplace like that.