Sign in to follow this  
tyler1215

NM mule deer

Hello, I was drawn for a new mexico mule deer hunt and I'm looking for some insight on how far I can shoot ethically. I have a CVA Accura V2 and thanks to creed_az_88 I shoot 120 gr blackhorn by volume with a 250gr traditions smackdown bullet.  I shoot a good group up to 300 yards. However, my question is does the bullet still was what it takes to take down a mule deer at that range? I know the shot placement has to be there. That said, if the shot placement is there, what would be my cut off distance? TIA for any and all feedback

Have you measured velocity? I don't have the data with me, and I haven't shot my accura v2 in a couple of years, but i do remember that at 325 yards kinetic energy for my setup, which if I remember right is identical to yours, was 800 ft lbs. The gun was unbelievably accurate at the distance and further, but i decided i wouldnt shoot a deer any further than 325 yds because that was the distance that the velocity dropped below the stated minimum velocity for expansion. I did shoot a deer at 280 yds with that setup and he collapsed instantly for what it's worth.    You definitely need to measure your muzzle velocity and calculate velocity at extended ranges and then compare those velocities to what traditions states as the minimum velocity for expansion. Also, you need to be able to determine wind drift using strelok or a similar app and then proof shoot it in the wind. Wind drift is the the biggest limiting factor in muzzeloading in my experience. The slightest breeze can carry a bullet multiple feet left or right past 200 yards. Good luck man!