Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

2022 Mule Deer Hunt with 7 BP's

I have 8 BP's and my son has 6 and I know he secretly want's a Mule Deer. I have a late rifle elk hunt in forbee so either something in October would be ideal but I don't know what units have decent odds and could use some help picking a hunt.

He is in good shape and back to works these last five years after his heart attacks and pacemaker working full time for a mechanical contractor and at 32 is doing well. I;ll be the big seven oh in s few monther and my ankle I broke in 2020 is pretty much 90% and as good as it's going to get and my latest PSA from prostrate cancer treatment is down to .98 from 8.5 in August so it's time to git'er done.

Any recomendations are appreciated. We will be tenting it as usual and hiking from there. We do have access to a cabin in Pine with a Ranger but prefer to camp.

TIA

If you’re not squeezed for time, 12AW would be a great hunt. Be worth checking the odds. It’s usually late October, being you mentioned the elk tag in November. If it works out I am sure it will be a great trip with your son. Good news on the PSA. 

It took 10 points to guarantee that early 12AW tag last year and the guys at 7 points were at 11% odds (what you’d be sitting at if you averaged you and your sons points). You’re guaranteed pretty much any mule deer tag south of the Colorado other than 3C or any of the late December rut hunts so keep that in mind. 

• Like 1

One of the Kaibab early hunts first choice. 
The late MLer hunts in the desert and 35A/B can be pretty good. Not sure how many BP those are taking now. 

I'd put 12AW first choice and then something south of the ditch second. 

With more tags being reduced in 12AW the early hunt is going to take even longer.