Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Electric F150

With high prices on them, and Biden's inflation and recession looming, Ill buy food, water and gas trucks.

So you buy electric truck. You are hunting the strip, you charge at home, bring a ton of gas cans to refill the generator you bring to charge you electric truck. Seems logical to me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If they ever make one that could get 1,000 miles on a full charge (charge by just plugging in extension cord) be able to tow heavy equipment and cost Pennie’s on the mile I’m sold. 
until then 

blah. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, n2horns said:

With high prices on them, and Biden's inflation and recession looming, Ill buy food, water and gas trucks.

So you buy electric truck. You are hunting the strip, you charge at home, bring a ton of gas cans to refill the generator you bring to charge you electric truck. Seems logical to me.

Yep my buddy works on heavy equipment and says it's not uncommon for them to burn 200 gallons of diesel a day.Did have a laugh at the guy in his tesla with a Honda generator in the trunk to charge the Damm thing.Something like 8 hrs to go 300 miles .I fill up my diesel in 10 minutes and go around 600 miles.

• Like 2

Until these things have charging stations on every corner and take same or less time to charge as to fill up with fuel and have the ability to go 500 miles on a tank then we may have something.  

Did see a tesla towing a trailer with extra batteries, probably needed them on his trip. so sad.

• Like 3

Electric vehicles are great for 90% of in town driving.  Towing will significantly cut your range down but day to day driving, they are like a soft johnson, hard to beat.  

I'd be interested in a pickup if they could get more mileage out of them for weekend trips and the such.  Even if solar charging became better, I'd be interested.  The cars are fast AF and cheap to operate. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Electric vehicles are great for 90% of in town driving.  Towing will significantly cut your range down but day to day driving, they are like a soft johnson, hard to beat.  

I'd be interested in a pickup if they could get more mileage out of them for weekend trips and the such.  Even if solar charging became better, I'd be interested.  The cars are fast AF and cheap to operate. 

I agree.  There’s a lot of kinks to iron out, and I don’t think they are any more “green” then a diesel, but I like the idea of an electric pickup.   I wish someone made a decent LiION utv.  I need something with about a 80-100 mile range and a cab.  I like the quiet of them and the simplicity.  Hate having more engines around as there’s always problems with them. 

• Like 1

I dont consider these for something to use when hunting or towing even though they could. I would buy one to daily drive and still be in a truck and not a toaster. Thats it. 

My understanding is that the batteries will degrade over time and be expensive to replace, which is why you can pick up used Nissan Leafs for a pittance; they can only go around town now and battery replacements are worth more than the car.

Maybe the newer batteries are getting somewhat better these days, but my 20 yr old Toyota with 150K miles that I use for hunting only still gets nearly 400miles to the tank. And I don't see an end in sight for the truck, I'll keep it around indefinitely.

Just food for thought; if you maintain and keep your vehicles forever like I do it might be penny wise/pound foolish to think electric saves money.

I don't have anything against electric cars. I kinda wish I had one for in-town driving.

Its about $8-10 to fully charge a car and get ~300 miles.

That would save me money and put less wear and tear on my Weekend / Hunting Truck also.

What is stupid is they have the technology to build them with an onboard generator to keep the batteries charged. Then you have no need for 6 zillion charging stations all over the place and no need to buy a charger for your home.

Let’s see average electric car 60k charger and install at home 10 to 12k. 8to10 dollars to recharge well you do the math and figure out how long it will take for you to turn it into a positive spend.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 360 0r Better said:

What is stupid is they have the technology to build them with an onboard generator to keep the batteries charged. Then you have no need for 6 zillion charging stations all over the place and no need to buy a charger for your home.

Let’s see average electric car 60k charger and install at home 10 to 12k. 8to10 dollars to recharge well you do the math and figure out how long it will take for you to turn it into a positive spend.

Onboard generator would be a hybrid. That already exists.

• Like 2

Electric isn’t going away. I like them. Are they green? Nope! Versatile for hunting and camping? Nope! But like previously stated, they are good for 90% of the time for an average U.S. vehicle owner. Technology is changing every year, solid state batteries are in the works and range is getting better. I type this while I’m currently at a high voltage battery training course for the week.

• Like 3

I’m really considering biting the bullet on an electric vehicle for my commute. My place of employment has free chargers for employees at all of their offices. I would rarely even have to plug it in at home. 

• Like 3