Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Electric F150

There was a time in my life when I was driving the 101 from 67th Ave over to Scottsdale Rd everyday.  I was tired of the traffic so I just decided to buy a used 2012 Chevy Volt so I could get the cloud plate.  It was the least expensive car I could find that qualified for the cloud plate program.  It was all electric until the batteries ran out then it went to a hybrid mode.  I could go about 50 miles on the batteries.  It was a good little car and I had zero issues with it.  Rarely ever put gas in it, never had to change the oil since it mostly ran on electric.   All in all it was great, I’d own another electric car if I was driving in town more.  Electric isn’t the replacement of all internal combustion cars but it has a good place in the market for sure.  Like others have said, it’s no more green that any other car but if anyone is on the fence about getting one I’d recommend it.  One of my work buddies has a Model 3 Tesla and he loves it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 360 0r Better said:

Reread it 10 to 12k for charger and install not just the install.

Read it fine..  check your #'s.  Misinformation can spread like wildfires.  15a. Slow charger comes with most EV'S.  If you want it to quick charge, you need to have a 50a 4 wire 240v charger.  They range from 300$ - a couple grand.  The most popular are around 600-700$.  Installation is a breeze in most homes.

• Haha 1

The misinformation in this thread is amazing. I laugh the whole way through. 10-12K hahaha. I too was misinformed until we test drove a few and found out the real numbers. We paid $500 for the Tesla charger and $500 for the install. Arizona has a $1K rebate that we received so the charger was a wash. We spend $35 a month extra on our electric bill to charge the car and we drive a lot. We can get a full charge in under an hour in the garage that happens at night while we sleep. No more oil changes, no more stopping to get gas in the morning and being late for work. We bought a Tesla model Y that was 3K more than the Toyota Highlander we were going to buy. Bought the vehicle in a few clicks rather than dealing with turbo salesmen at the lot. We paid 166 for 5 years of registration btw. The amount of money we are saving on gas and registration alone makes it worth it. Plus the car is very very fast and extremely fun to drive. We drove to California and back and I didn't steer or use the gas/brake pedals the entire time, and we spent $35 total to charge it both ways. My wife will not go back to ice vehicles. I wasn't a fan until I actually did the research and experienced it myself. It has a 8 year bumper to bumper warranty including the battery and the batteries are supposed to last 200,000-250,000 miles. Tesla comes to my house and does anything I want to free while I'm at work. If you need a car for driving around town its a no brainer. It's cheaper, faster and more fun to drive. 

That being said I'm keeping my Tacoma for hunting/fishing/camping. The electric thing isn't far enough along for that yet. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

Electric vehicles are great for 90% of in town driving.  Towing will significantly cut your range down but day to day driving, they are like a soft johnson, hard to beat.  

I'd be interested in a pickup if they could get more mileage out of them for weekend trips and the such.  Even if solar charging became better, I'd be interested.  The cars are fast AF and cheap to operate. 

Flaccid. Like most owners of electric vehicles 

GG85:  Charging is free for you, but it's costing somebody.  Mostly likely us losers that drive ICE vehicles.

CF:  $166 for a 5 year plate is terrific, but somebody is subsidizing that.  Again, probably use ICE losers.

There is just so much more to this, but I will say andyy (I think that was the forum member) who said he drives his car until the wheels fall off.

That is about the greenest thing you can do unless you are driving an EV to be STYLISH

Eddie

EV owners are not paying their fare share of taxes on fuel, registration, nor are they supporting local business with stops at gas stations and mini marts, not supporting the local mom and pop repair shops.

Thus, who suffers from EV cars? We do, hard working, oil dependent masculine males and females! Roads dont get extra tax dollars from EV cars, they dont pay extra taxes at the pump for anything. They are a drain on the economy, not to mention they have a high carbon footprint and what to do with them and those horrible batteries, yes more pollution.  Even nuclear waste is easier to use and get rid of.

Looking at the studies and facts, most owners of EV are woke people, they consider themselves privileged due to their appropriated status.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, n2horns said:

EV owners are not paying their fare share of taxes on fuel, registration, nor are they supporting local business with stops at gas stations and mini marts, not supporting the local mom and pop repair shops.

Thus, who suffers from EV cars? We do, hard working, oil dependent masculine males and females! Roads dont get extra tax dollars from EV cars, they dont pay extra taxes at the pump for anything. They are a drain on the economy, not to mention they have a high carbon footprint and what to do with them and those horrible batteries, yes more pollution.  Even nuclear waste is easier to use and get rid of.

Looking at the studies and facts, most owners of EV are woke people, they consider themselves privileged due to their appropriated status.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, n2horns said:

It's all about saving money in the long run. The average Joe should just be thinking of how to survive and save for retirement. Convience stores will adapt as they always do, necessity drives the market, adapt or get left behind.

Ride the wave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n2horns said:

Feds are working on EV taxes with registration and taxes per mile. Its just a new technology, taxes will catch up. Times change and so does technology. Businesses need to adapt or get left behind. Look at blockbuster, change with the times or go bankrupt. 

Both Ice and electric both pollute the earth. I don't personally believe either is better for the earth. If you live on earth you will destroy/consume things, its part of life. 

We support a lot of local gas stations still and mom and pop stores. I don't feel one bit bad for Chevron, QT or any of the big oil companies, they have enough money.

1 hour ago, eddielasvegas said:

GG85:  Charging is free for you, but it's costing somebody.  Mostly likely us losers that drive ICE vehicles.

CF:  $166 for a 5 year plate is terrific, but somebody is subsidizing that.  Again, probably use ICE losers.

There is just so much more to this, but I will say andyy (I think that was the forum member) who said he drives his car until the wheels fall off.

That is about the greenest thing you can do unless you are driving an EV to be STYLISH

Eddie

1 hour ago, n2horns said:

Eddie, i do not own an EV first of all. Secondly, should i drive exclusively ICE vehicles just to support ICE "losers"? My every day is a 2018 cummins man. Costs $20 a day to and from work or around $500 a month. An EV would cost pennies on the dollar. Don’t worry I’ll keep my rigs that blow smoke just to make sure i contribute to the "ICE losers"

N2, what is "fair share" of taxes? We ALL pay too much!!! How do EV’s hurt the "masculine males and females" of america that depend on fuel we buy from communist countries? Don’t get me wrong, i think EV’s are as gay as the next guy and if we actually were petroleum independent again and i was paying $1.79 for diesel like i was a couple years ago, i would not even consider it.

What is more "Anti-American" now? Buying overpriced fuel from gigantic, corporate, billion dollar "gas stations" who get their fuel from communist countries or driving an EV to and from work?

• Like 1

I talked to a guy in his 2008 hybrid, he was broke down after having a generic battery installed. The cheap one was $4000 at the dealer it was $6500 so he bought the cheaper battery and was left stranded. He was also ranting about those who drive large gas trucks and how we are enemies of the earth. I excused myself and started up my f-150 and drove off.  I  like my $200 battery much better.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Eddie, i do not own an EV first of all. Secondly, should i drive exclusively ICE vehicles just to support ICE "losers"? My every day is a 2018 cummins man. Costs $20 a day to and from work or around $500 a month. An EV would cost pennies on the dollar. Don’t worry I’ll keep my rigs that blow smoke just to make sure i contribute to the "ICE losers"

N2, what is "fair share" of taxes? We ALL pay too much!!! How do EV’s hurt the "masculine males and females" of america that depend on fuel we buy from communist countries? Don’t get me wrong, i think EV’s are as gay as the next guy and if we actually were petroleum independent again and i was paying $1.79 for diesel like i was a couple years ago, i would not even consider it.

What is more "Anti-American" now? Buying overpriced fuel from gigantic, corporate, billion dollar "gas stations" who get their fuel from communist countries or driving an EV to and from work?

Yes and my apologies GG85...my reply was not clear.  I should have said if you buy an EV and you get free charging at work.

And I'm glad you're an ICE loser like me.  🤣

Eddie 

• Like 1

I guess it’s case by case but how much money do you plan on saving  by buying a second depreciating asset and paying interest, Insurance, maintenance, on it? 

8 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I guess it’s case by case but how much money do you plan on saving  by buying a second depreciating asset and paying interest, Insurance, maintenance, on it? 

Yup, case by case for sure.  For me it makes alot of sense to get an EV, just havn't quite been able to talk myself fully into one.  The Tesla's are pretty badass and have some features that appeal to me.  The minute they allow Tesla's to drive me home from the bar without getting a DUI, I am getting one for sure. LOL.   I know a guy at work who literally fell asleep driving home from a callout and his Tesla kept driving him home.  He woke about like 10 miles from where he last remembered.