Sign in to follow this  
n2horns

2022 SD Tuna/Yellowtail trips

Great bag, grouper is awesome!

I got 3 trips booked out of Dana Point this year with Leftcoast sport fishing Capt Chris is awesome. I did 5 trips last year with him. The star for me was a 100lb BFT on one trip and a 70lber on another lots of YT and Mahi with him

IMG_20210816_033229_357.jpg

IMG_20210726_114851_602.jpg

IMG953814.jpg

• Like 3

@Hac - nice bag and congrats on the sweet BFT!  I will have to keep Chris in mind for future trips, like Parkers.

@SunDevil - I have been on many a boat rides and got some nice sun and buzz.  If you want a solid for sure fishing experince, go to the grocery store.  I don't care if I get skunked, as long as the captain and crew give it their all. Sometimes these are really cool and fun bonding trips.

I can't wait for my end of June trip.

• Like 4

Do you guys let the crew process your fish or do you do it yourselves? The last trip I was on my cousin called the packer and they were at the dock waiting for us. It was awesome.

I have been taking mine to 5 Star processing past few trips.  My trips usually come back about 8 or 9pm and processors are closed.  The 6 pack capt/deckhand usually takes them to 5 Star and has the gate code and drops them in the ice bins.  

The processors will be at docks if boat is back in the am hours, but anything after that, need to drop it off the next day.

I have processed my own fish at home, but if time isnt on my side, I let the processors do the work.  They come out great. Plus flash frozen and come out sushi ready!

• Like 1

Anyone going or has gone out? Any pictures?  I'll be heading out this weekend hopefully the weather cooperates 

31 minutes ago, Hac said:

Anyone going or has gone out? Any pictures?  I'll be heading out this weekend hopefully the weather cooperates 

Most of the fleet has been doing pretty good with a few limits.

On 6/22/2022 at 11:29 AM, Hac said:

Did a 1.75 day 3 weeks ago. Bad weather most of the time and only 6 hit the deck. All on sinker rigs during the day and deep. (Down to 500') Biggest to hit the deck was 180 and some smaller schoolies. Two nights of dropping jigs and not a single hookup for the entire boat. Very odd.  (One guy went the week prior and they whacked em on jigs at night)

I would take gear from 25# flyline up to.... the biggest guns ya got.  200 or 300# leaders for night jigging is not too heavy. You may only get 1 school that wants to play and they could easily be 200# fish.  Make sure you have depth markers on your line or depth hunter line or whatever so you know how deep you are.

A few 400g knife jigs may be handy too if it's windy. The guys dropping 350g flatfalls couldn't even get down to 200 feet with the winds we had. 12oz weights were on the light side when trying to get sinkers deep.

Have fun and good luck!!

This was our biggest.. 

5101484482842202510.thumb.jpg.00fefaf1f1535808727883363ea919b6.jpg

• Like 1

I did a 3 day on the Polaris Supreme 3 weekends ago, the winds were steady 25+ the whole trip but the waves were on only a major factor in the evenings. The bite was also only really on at night, mostly 11pm-3am. 

The jackpot fish was in the daylight the first day, a lone sinker rig hook up that came in at about 170# 

The first evening we made on decent stop and pulled 10-12 fish on jigs in the dark that all were 80-100# I got one on a 200g Mustad Moonriser Sardine knife jig that came in at 84# gutted/gilled on the dock.

I don’t know if any fish were caught in the daylight on Saturday, but Saturday night in the middle of the night there was a fairly consistent bite. All the fish we voted were   25 to 50 pounds after the first day.

Sunday produced a little bit of calmer weather and we did get some fly line action in. I caught a couple of fish nothing big on fly lines, 50# flouro with a #2 hook with my set up. 

We fished until almost 1 AM Monday morning…When we were doing a return to the docs around 5 AM Monday. The boats captain and crew worked very hard. We came in just shy of boat limits for BFT. 

Knife jigs in the dark 180 -300g color didn’t matter was ticket on this trip. I got at least 10 tuna on the same jig I kept tied on the whole trip with a crimped 5’  100 pound flouro leader tied to my 100# braid. 

Right before the trip I did in early June the fish were starting to get Squirrley and I think that’s been consistent throughout the month. The weathers been rough the entire season to date as well. 

I’m on the waiting list on a couple of overnight boats in mid July as we have a weekend trip over there planned but that’s probably it for me this season in SD. 

547002D0-321A-4858-ABBB-5B3371ACD164.jpeg

• Like 5

Did a 6 Pack on Coblat for an overnight trip 6/30, we headed way south of Esenada and did well with Yellowtail and Dorado.  Late mornings the wind picked up and took all my balance to throw irons from the bow.  Landed 3 YT on mint Tady 45 surface iron, but the bow beat me up.  Had a good bunch follow but no takers.  I thru a Nomad Riptide, but no takers.

Rest of the fish came from fly line bait.  We fished our way back to the barn, but nothing to be had. I think our last stop was like 3pm and we didnt get back in until about 9pm.

Had a great time and have another trip with Cobalt mid September.