Sign in to follow this  
n2horns

2022 SD Tuna/Yellowtail trips

I never had either, I got into them at high tide with a silver spoon. Not as good as grouper but a nice white filet. Caught a bunch of other random fish too.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 11:55 AM, eastvalleyjerry said:

I never had either, I got into them at high tide with a silver spoon. Not as good as grouper but a nice white filet. Caught a bunch of other random fish too.

I gotta think it tastes like white sea bass? 

I got my fished shipped from 5 star fish processing on Thursday.  Drop off weight was 50lbs, processed was 21lbs.  Fish was in great shape.

Time for some good eats!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, n2horns said:

I got my fished shipped from 5 star fish processing on Thursday.  Drop off weight was 50lbs, processed was 21lbs.  Fish was in great shape.

Time for some good eats!

What's the $$ per lb?  J/k looking at that makes me want to 🤮

I came back and smoked all my yellowtail and the one Sierra I kept first night. Grouper’ed out my coworker and parents. Still have a large amount I have to eat asap. I don’t like to keep it long in the freezer 

• Like 2

I tried to cook the Sierra the way I usually cook fish and it was Insanely fishy.  I've heard either ceviche or smoke em and they are good

10 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

dang! You made out well.  

No, I looked up five star prices and asking you if the $1.50 per lb that I see listed is what made you puke? 

4 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

I tried to cook the Sierra the way I usually cook fish and it was Insanely fishy.  I've heard either ceviche or smoke em and they are good

If you cook them like any other fish the first day they’re good. We grilled a couple.

Depends on the thickness of bags you get $1.50 for 3mm, $1.60 for 5mil.  $4.00 for collars etc.... Shipping was $60.00.  I go fishing to fish and have fun.  If I counted all the expenses, just like hunting, I would go to Costco.

Gas prices suck now and wasn't 100% sure if I would make my Sept trip.  Otherwise the processor starts charging storage fees.  Usually I play the pickup game on various trips or vacation to So Cal and I make a longer detour to pickup fish.

I do like the 5 mil bags for longer storage, I sometimes don't eat it all up in few months.  Holds really well in chest freezer.