Sign in to follow this  
n2horns

2022 SD Tuna/Yellowtail trips

Those are some good sized YT,  either that or trick photography?

On 7/12/2022 at 6:11 PM, trphyhntr said:

I just got invited to go Sunday, remembered this thread. Said no thanks 

Thank goodness I didn’t go. They got on the boat expecting to go for BFT and the captain changed plans went for YT. I would have got off the boat and drove back to Mesa. 

then on top of that I guess it was just a crap show, with dudes being jackass’s. a guy made a report on bloodydecks about it, 1.75 day Legend. 

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/report-1-75-on-the-legend-and-a-question.800241/

i messaged the OP of that thread to see if my buddy was messing stuff up, but sounded like it was California people that fucked it up 

Ya thats why we all paid extra and got the whole boat. We were looking for Blue Fins also but the yellow were on fire so no one complained, we had two boats working together for BF but it was real spooky bite so we went back to Yellows. I think we avg 25 lbs a fish and I won the pot with 27 lb'er. Also saw a 46 lb Yellow at the offload, thats a ounce in a lifetime. Cant complain I guess last year they got skunked on this same trip.. Next up Florida hopefully

A few guys had the processor do theirs but we took ours home, 15 Yellow and 6 Durado. I did half the collars and 4 heads for stock. Made two durado belly baits for stripers and 5 egg sacks for crawfish or Cats. Grilled some skins for the dogs and everyone is happy except my back!!! Oh and My buddy hit the belly on one of the Durado bellys and dang that stunk 

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

9 minutes ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Next up Florida hopefully

What are you targeting and where are you going?

26 minutes ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Ya thats why we all paid extra and got the whole boat. We were looking for Blue Fins also but the yellow were on fire so no one complained, we had two boats working together for BF but it was real spooky bite so we went back to Yellows. I think we avg 25 lbs a fish and I won the pot with 27 lb'er. Also saw a 46 lb Yellow at the offload, thats a ounce in a lifetime. Cant complain I guess last year they got skunked on this same trip.. Next up Florida hopefully

Those are huge yellows to me. That would be fun 

19 minutes ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

A few guys had the processor do theirs but we took ours home, 15 Yellow and 6 Durado. I did half the collars and 4 heads for stock. Made two durado belly baits for stripers and 5 egg sacks for crawfish or Cats. Grilled some skins for the dogs and everyone is happy except my back!!! Oh and My buddy hit the belly on one of the Durado bellys and dang that stunk 

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

That is good looking yellowtail

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

What are you targeting and where are you going?

Tuna was all I heard, a freinds condo is on the gulf side so could go out for anything. Would just be nice to have some flat water. Ill fish for anything. We half planned a trip while on the boat so not real detailed. Figure we could find a center console to rent for 4 or 5 guys a couple days while down there.

We were down in cabo last week. No big ones but, This is about half of the tuna we caught, and 2 smaller Marlin. We did some sashimi right on the boat too. 

A000FFB6-BC5F-47E4-896B-412ADEFE4866.jpeg

3EF011BB-DBC0-45FE-ACEA-498263606056.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tanner W said:

We were down in cabo last week. No big ones but, This is about half of the tuna we caught, and 2 smaller Marlin. We did some sashimi right on the boat too. 

A000FFB6-BC5F-47E4-896B-412ADEFE4866.jpeg

3EF011BB-DBC0-45FE-ACEA-498263606056.jpeg

Very cool. Did you have them fix it up for you at any of the restaurants as well? 

4 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Very cool. Did you have them fix it up for you at any of the restaurants as well? 

Yeah captain Tony’s down in the marina cooked some up one night 

• Like 1

Not Socal but had a good time fishing for 3 days out of Westport, WA this week. We did a combo rockfish/salmon trip day one and got limits of both mooching, herring for Coho in 50-100' of water and rockfish at 200.' Day 2 we trolled for salmon and picked up two nice kings along with limits of coho. The last day we tried for Albacore but it was a slow day, we got one take down trolling and hooked several more on a live bait once the troll fish was hooked up and we stopped. We ended up 3 fer 6, I had one on but mine popped off. I enjoyed this fishery and the little town of Westport and would fish it again for salmon and rockfish. We were blessed with calm seas and light winds every day too.

coho727.png.197ddf46b3099881b86d417adfa0ec9e.png

salmon728.png.b28f83b3e202ef8b3ddf6e0cc7f4d4f5.png

alby7_29.png.2b5c8bf44a27fae4779300ec957a0bec.png

• Like 7

You think if I went to Ensenada with an expired passport and checked by the marines, would they care? I’m thinking of fishing out of Ensenada cuz F California 

4 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

You think if I went to Ensenada with an expired passport and checked by the marines, would they care? I’m thinking of fishing out of Ensenada cuz F California 

I would renew my passport so it was not a potential stress and hassle.

31 minutes ago, Siwash said:

I would renew my passport so it was not a potential stress and hassle.

That would be right thing to do. But I wanna go now. Probably just end up sticking with Sonora 

On 7/23/2022 at 10:53 AM, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Hammered the Yellowtail this week, boat limited out for 14 guys. Sushi rolls and Nigiri coming soon.

diego.jpg

Very nice load!  YT always a fun fight, cant wait for the YFT to stick around and bite well.