Sign in to follow this  
n2horns

2022 SD Tuna/Yellowtail trips

Not what I’m asking.

Asking if the Mexican marines/navy pull over fishing boats asking for passports and will they care if it’s expired. Jfc

I’m just gonna update my passport.

10 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Not what I’m asking.

Asking if the Mexican marines/navy pull over fishing boats asking for passports and will they care if it’s expired. Jfc

I’m just gonna update my passport.

The MX Navy doesn't f around. Id get it updated.

• Thanks 1

If you drive to Rocky point and go out fishing on a boat, do you have to provide a passport if the MX navy stops and checks the boat?  How would fishing out of Ensenada be any different than RP?

39 minutes ago, SunDevil said:

If you drive to Rocky point and go out fishing on a boat, do you have to provide a passport if the MX navy stops and checks the boat?  How would fishing out of Ensenada be any different than RP?

Idk I don’t fish out of rocky point or Ensenada. It’s probably not any different though, I’d probably have no problems. In Cabo, they check your fishing license. Why would I need a passport while on a fishing boat? Makes no sense.

tbh I think my friend don’t want me to go and catch 4 bft while he caught 0 on 1.5 day sd 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Idk I don’t fish out of rocky point or Ensenada. It’s probably not any different though, I’d probably have no problems. In Cabo, they check your fishing license. Why would I need a passport while on a fishing boat? Makes no sense.

tbh I think my friend don’t want me to go and catch 4 bft while he caught 0 on 1.5 day sd 

Maybe the difference is that if you fish out of Cabo, there is likely an assumption that you need a passport to even get there (So no proof needed for the boat if it sails from Cabo...)?   If you are fishing further north, there is a greater possibility that you entered Mexican waters by sea from the US, so your passport would not have been already validated through a land entry point.

I aint no expert for sure, but just know that my son had to bring his passport on a cattle-call boat while we were in SD for our annual family vacay last month.  The boat was going to target the Coronado Islands, and the operator was strict on everybody having to have a passport for that fishing trip.

BTW, I know you veterans don't like those big boats, but it was my son's first time and he had a blast.  They got into a ton of Yellowtail,  The crew and locals/regulars were super helpful with my kid, showing him the ropes to help him get his first couple of fish.  BIG thanks to Heat for the referral! ;) 

• Like 2

im going to do some snorkeling and spearfishing in sonora instead, im not gonna mess with it. 

nah i aint even hating on it lots of these guys love that cattle boat stuff. im just ruined on yellowtail. the best bite in SD for YT isnt a pimple on the grand daddys butt compared to lobos. 

As I was dropping him off at 5AM for his 1-day YT trip, there was a boat returning from a 5-day trip.  They had a ton of Bluefin that they were unloading.  Talked to a couple of the guys getting off the boat and they were raving about the night-bite jigging....

Here is son's first YT.   We ate sashimi, ceviche, and fish tacos that night.  ;) 

Erik Yellowtail.jpg

BF from the 5-Day trip....

Bluefin.jpg

• Like 1

TH- Aren't the Yt on average larger out of SD vs. Lobos?  I've heard different times of the year, the larger ones move in tho?

22 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

TH- Aren't the Yt on average larger out of SD vs. Lobos?  I've heard different times of the year, the larger ones move in tho?

Seems like mainly coping to me.  My buddy said that to me the other day. “Yeah 5lbers.” but that pic above ain’t any bigger than what we catch? The biggest I caught was 17lbs in lobos but that wasn’t in big season. I think Larry caught a 40lb in the spring a couple years ago. Idk what this one was but I caught it last month casting a rapala. 

F5D8A376-25EB-448C-981D-29A7332BAB32.jpeg

On 7/6/2022 at 9:56 PM, trphyhntr said:

grouper, seared in garlic and butter. Creole seasoning. then finished in the oven 3139158E-FB9C-48FF-B676-CDA7CF3242FA.thumb.jpeg.581830a2b43a021f60ea07c31918b138.jpeg

That looks delicious.