maximus

Question about 6.5 creedmoor

I haven't start reloading yet for my 6.5 creedmoor but my question is : is it better to reload a 130 grain berger or a 140 berger/ 143 eld x, please if you don't mind to share your toughts.

thank you.

• Like 1

I like the 140/143 gr. bullets for the 6.5 CM. 

• Like 3

For me I would choose the 140-143 over the 130’s. If I remember correctly the BC is better on the 140-143’s. The Hornady has a slight better BC than the Bergers. But I would load the Berger 140’s and the Hornady 143’s to see which one groups better in your gun. Performance on penetration the Hornady may stay to gether better,,,, but I personally like Berger better. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Vowell said:

For me I would choose the 140-143 over the 130’s. If I remember correctly the BC is better on the 140-143’s. The Hornady has a slight better BC than the Bergers. But I would load the Berger 140’s and the Hornady 143’s to see which one groups better in your gun. Performance on penetration the Hornady may stay to gether better,,,, but I personally like Berger better. 

Second this, my gun likes the Bergers better but I found the ELD-X perform better on game.

• Like 1

I have had great luck with the 143 eldx out of several 6.5 CM’s so you have had no reason to try anything else.   As far reloading components go like stated above they are hard to get right now but also not impossible.   Thanks to some great members on this site they have been on top of posting links when hard to find reloading items come available, you just have to get to them quick.  

• Like 1

thank you for the responses, just wanted to know what bullet weight would work better, i have h4350, 200 eldx 143 grain, 100 bergers 140 and 100 bergers 130, just want to know from some of you guys that reload that caliber.

thank you so much.

• Like 1

1:8 twist out of a 6.5 CM the 143gr seems to be the sweet spot.

The 6.5 CM I had would shoot a 2 inch group at 514 yards with the 143 gr. ELDX and RL 16.

• Wow! 1

I am on the opposing side of everyone else here.

I much prefer a 130 in a 6.5CM or similar sized case, especially with a 22-24" 1:8" barrel.  The added MV in a good 130 (VLD or OTM) makes for flatter trajectory out to 1000ish with about 15" less drop, and maintains almost identical remaining velocity at 1k as the 140.  Energy is about 70ft/lbs less however at 1000.  Drift in a 10mph full value wind is within 1.5".  

Lighter bullets with the same powder charge equates to added speed and reduced recoil.  

Keep in mind the minimum recommended impact velocity (usually 1800fps), and use that as a determining factor, as well as your personal limits to shooting game at distance.  

• Like 7

I'm not a berger fan on Game.   They print great but I have not been impressed with their performance on game.   The ELD-X bullets have been super accurate and drop game like rocks.    I shoot the 143 ELD-X out of my gun and love it.  

I'm with Lance on 130 grain bullets delivering best performance in the 6.5 Creedmoor. The cartridge designed after the old 300 Savage case, a shortened 308 is best off with 120-130 grain bullets. There just isn't enough powder room for a slow burning powder to properly deliver those heavy bullets. Frankly the 140 grain bullets gained popularity only because of the paper punchers where energy is of no consequence.