Sign in to follow this  
Neverdrawn37A

Been lurking around this site for awhile so decided to finally make a post.  Tons of great info on here that I have used trying to learn how to hunt Arizona.  Originally from southern Virginia, hunted whitetails from treestands for many years.  Moved out here about 7 years ago and absolutely love AZ, the open space, dry weather, and conservative (for now) gov't.  Tried my hand at a few rifle coues hunts with no luck down in 34A as the change from treestand hunting to glassing open country is still a work in progress for me.  Read about Duane Adams and watched all his videos so getting better at the whole glassing thing.  Got close on my last two years bowhunting desert mule deer in the rut and love that hunt but man is it challenging.  Been trying to get that 37A rifle mule deer hunt but never seem to draw it (hence the username).   Pumped that I drew my first AZ elk tag this year 6A early archery so really looking forward to that hunt.      

Have 3 kids waiting for them to get old enough to put in for big game youth hunts but they love going dove/quail hunting with me for now.  We also like trout fishing the lakes up north (have had a lot of luck at Ashurst).  

Anyways that's me and look forward to posting an AZ hunting success story on here in the near future!

• Like 18

Welcome and thanks for the introduction!

You will have a BLAST on your elk hunt. 

Hopefully you have plenty of time to be in the woods during your hunt.

Welcome

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Welcome and thanks for the introduction!

You will have a BLAST on your elk hunt. 

Hopefully you have plenty of time to be in the woods during your hunt.

Thanks, yeah I'm trying to be in the woods for at least 7 days which is pretty good for me with work, young kids, wife that works but she is real supportive of this elk hunt, she wants the freezer full of elk meat since the price of beef is so sky high these days!

3 hours ago, Neverdrawn37A said:

Thanks, yeah I'm trying to be in the woods for at least 7 days which is pretty good for me with work, young kids, wife that works but she is real supportive of this elk hunt, she wants the freezer full of elk meat since the price of beef is so sky high these days!

Yeah the price of beef is crazy. My wife is very supportive of Elk hunting for how lean it is. She gets as anxious as I do for the elk draw. 

• Like 3

Welcome. You drew one of the best tags there is and that hunt is good and as long as you're not picky you will be successful.

3 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Welcome. You drew one of the best tags there is and that hunt is good and as long as you're not picky you will be successful.

Thanks, yeah I drew with 6 points so still pretty lucky to get it. I keep hearing there are tons of elk in there but also you got 700 tagholders too.  My strategy was going to be to get as far off roads as possible, in shape and have a buddy that will probably go with me so don't mind packing out on foot if I get one.  I figure I'm going to go by the rule if you'd shoot it on the last day its good enough for the first day of the hunt so yeah won't be picky as I'm just trying to get my 1st elk.....but at the same time would really like to get something bigger than a spike so might pass one of those up on the first couple days...

• Like 1

Antlers make lean eating…. But, . considering how long it takes to pull an archery bull tag these days,  I say enjoy the hunt and  learn as you go. It took me  6 years  of bow hunting in the 80’s to finally fill a tag, and that’s cause they finally opened cow permits… times and equipment were a lot different then.  Spike bulls have been some of the best I have eaten, but the difference in yield between a spike and year older(3-4 pt rag horn) is amazing.   6a has plenty of elk, use maps to get away from the road warriors. That’s where the elk will go as well. Good luck,and have fun!

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 4:12 PM, Neverdrawn37A said:

Thanks, yeah I drew with 6 points so still pretty lucky to get it. I keep hearing there are tons of elk in there but also you got 700 tagholders too.  My strategy was going to be to get as far off roads as possible, in shape and have a buddy that will probably go with me so don't mind packing out on foot if I get one.  I figure I'm going to go by the rule if you'd shoot it on the last day its good enough for the first day of the hunt so yeah won't be picky as I'm just trying to get my 1st elk.....but at the same time would really like to get something bigger than a spike so might pass one of those up on the first couple days...

How did your hunt go?

• Like 3

A bunch of my buddies had tags for this hunt.I heard it was tough .15 tags in camp 3 hit elk and only one recovered.One was gut shot and wasn't given enough time to expire and got jumped and never found again.The other was a high shoulder and didn't get enough to do its job.