Sign in to follow this  
couesdeerhntr

2022 35a Goulds Turkey

I have to start off with a big thank you to zaccarp and qcchevy for sending me some locations and Little Creek Calls for getting my calls done very fast and actually bringing them to my house. Sunday i got off work and headed down to hunt some Goulds. Best i could do with short notice tag. Monday morning comes and first stop i get into a bird and he is coming right for me then gets to 100 yards and i watch him walk around me. Stop one is done. Try different location and i get hammered and watch a hen walk him right around me and i cant make it happen again. Now i am starting to question myself. I know i can hunt turkey but i must be making some mistakes or just not finding the right bird. Drive around and see some birds and get a few responses but thats it. Now i am worried. Everyone talks about it being an easy hunt and it was seeming to be the normal grind of turkey hunting going on for me. I wake up Tuesday and get into a bird again and work him for a bit and then coyotes start barking and howling and fired the bird up but also pushed him out as i hear him gobbling and going away. I decided to go try a different area and find nothing. Drive to a differnt location and throw out some calls and boom two birds hit me. Its on. I work them for an hour it seems and cant break one off the knob they are on and dont know why. Didnt seem like they had hens. Decide i am going to try and get closer and blow out two deer and the turkey shut up. I think its done and move out to try a different spot. Not and the next spot so i head back to wear i the birds were that i thought the deer spooked out to pick hp a nice pile of fire wood a saw and i hear them again. Decided to try and work around them and come from different side. I get to a spot i can actually glass back and see all the glass up two strutters and a bunch of hens. I work into them while my buddy took some good pics thru the glass. Got to within 63 yards of two toms. When i get there i didnt have to do anything. i ended being surrounded by hens and two other toms. The hens started walking towards me and i take a shot at one of the toms and miss and he flys up and over a tree and  i was about to shoot again  but the two other toms run right in front of me and i shoot and i drop one. I could hear my buddy and son Cheering for me as they watch the whole thing thru phone scope and binos. Was an awesome experience. Cant wait to do it again. Thank everyone again who helped out it was a great experience.

1F68BD11-CA39-4A7C-AD1B-6D770ABCFB7A.jpeg

E59F647B-047D-47B6-88FA-EB1D31E27319.jpeg

2CAAEADB-ED50-464E-BF4C-3A2E90C9E80F.png

• Like 26

I’m glad you took that tag! 

but at the same time a small piece of me was thinking I could be next in line lol

• Haha 1

Great story!  Congrats on getting a Goulds!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heck ya! Congrats on your Goulds!!! Way cool

On 5/5/2022 at 9:15 AM, Little Creek Calls said:

Congratulations on a nice Gould's. Glad to see your son was able to join you on the hunt.

Yes he was very happy to join. When you had stopped by to drop off calls i had not told him he was going yet and i wanted to surprise him so thats why i told him no at the time. But he was always going! Little man had a blast and become more of  a man during it as well! Definitely came out of his shoes and showed me more of himself for sure 

• Like 3

Congrats to You Great time.......................BOB!

• Thanks 1

Congrats on your bird. Really cool you got the call and took that tag and it worked out. Most goulds in units are i believe still uneducated. I do believe 35a is getting a little more educated as the tags have increased. A little more pressure but certainly nothing like meriams. Thats why i only wanted the 34a tag with a total 4 tags between both hunts. Also a big plus to have young ones with you. Very special!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bucks N Bulls said:

Congrats on your bird. Really cool you got the call and took that tag and it worked out. Most goulds in units are i believe still uneducated. I do believe 35a is getting a little more educated as the tags have increased. A little more pressure but certainly nothing like meriams. Thats why i only wanted the 34a tag with a total 4 tags between both hunts. Also a big plus to have young ones with you. Very special!

Well i guess i never hunted there before but definitely seemed harder than I expected. After i shot my bird and the stress was gone i drove around aNd of course found a few more.

• Like 2

Final verdict is in and i am getting it mounted. My only other strut mount had a foam head. Leaning towards the freeze dried approach. Cut and strut i think is the name seems legit for taxidermy and does this i think.Anyone else have recommendations.

• Like 2