Sign in to follow this  
Sneaker

Another Drought Year...

Every year we have a tag it seems to be a bad dry spring/early summer. Looks like another pretty bad one this year for most of the state, especailly the area through 10, 18s, 17s, 19s and 20s. Pretty much nothing in the state over even 50% of normal moisture. Nothin in the forecast 👎. Trying not to be sad. Last year was tough enough, shaping up to be another bad year. This is last 90 days, percent of normal map:

image.png.82439f19d50f7e91f6ac1e3440390390.png 

15 minutes ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Sure hope so! My personal opinion: the most critical time for moisture for antler growth for elk is March-May, an anything after the first week in July is probably too late to do anything. But for health of the herd, we will take it any day and time! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SunDevil said:

Should be a wet summer 

Let’s hope so…

Saw a bull yesterday (unit 1) that was already a 5 point and super wide…..fronts were at least 18-20” long…..he may not finish out great, but he still will be a dandy when he’s done.  Bigger than most people will ever kill, IMO.  Not all doom and gloom.  

• Like 2

I was in 6a a week or two ago and the waterholes by our usual elk camp were the fullest they've been in years.Mesa tank was over full and goswick was about as full as I've ever seen.Summer temps will burn some of that off and the cows from bar d and bar v will have a lot to do with what water is left.I just wish who ever knocked the bar out between the trees to use as a bench around the fire ring would have thought about it first .Its been there for years and gotten used on every elk camp I can remember.My buddy Chuck assures me they will rebuild it once again.

It's pretty dry around me. It will have an effect.   I did see this monster when I was otc elk hunting Sunday. 

20220508_055048.thumb.jpg.c336cccd48196a98604ed39016d278a4.jpg

Whatever it turns out to be I am not turning my tag back in. 3A 3C Early rifle Bull with only 7 points. And at 66 years old I may never get another one. I think it will be ok, the conditions for their bodies was good up till now................................BOB!

• Like 9

On 5/5/2022 at 5:08 PM, Sneaker said:

Sure hope so! My personal opinion: the most critical time for moisture for antler growth for elk is March-May, an anything after the first week in July is probably too late to do anything. But for health of the herd, we will take it any day and time! 

I would totally agree with this regarding antler growth. Every big bull I've found or had on camera is 95% done growing by the 4th of July.

• Like 2

This tag takes 25 points to draw. anybody with less than15-20 points would be crazy to turn it in . Unless they are real young. I will Enjoy!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

I'm in.....

See you there Bro!

• Like 1