Sign in to follow this  
EarlyBronco

Gunsmith that can fix Remington 1100?

I have a really nice 1100 that has some issues, looking for someone that knows a lot about the guns, or a good gunsmith that can fix it, I don’t care what it cost , let me have some suggestions please 

What's wrong with it? Won't feed, won't eject, won't fire? A semi auto has to be kept fairly clean to function. There are enough YouTube videos that show how to break one down and clean it. The gas ports have to be clean also.

If the issue involves not cycling properly, see below.

I have an older 1100 with the single gas port that is chambered in 3" mag.

I understand that later they went to two gas ports. It got to be finicky when shooting any low base rounds.  

A through cleaning and silicone spray and o-ring replacement helped a ton.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

What's wrong with it? Won't feed, won't eject, won't fire? A semi auto has to be kept fairly clean to function. There are enough YouTube videos that show how to break one down and clean it. The gas ports have to be clean also.

It won’t feed another round sometimes and  chamber stays open and sometimes it feeds the next round but it won’t feed it all the way , I’ve cleaned it and changed the o rings I think a part is broken somewhere 

Interesting that the OP is asking about a general purpose gunsmith (which used to be fairly plentiful) and did not get a single answer.  At least not that I can see, which is for a gunsmith and not DIY work.  I know folks are trying to be helpful, and I am sure he appreciates it, but not everyone wants to work on their gun or has tools, bench, etc.  The truth is, the guys who used to be able to do general gun repairs, maintenance, modifications, etc. are gone.  That's why I have almost quit buying guns.  Big headache if a used gun needs something that really requires hand-fitting or any kind of precision machining, welding, silver soldering, match up front and read sight dimensions, D&T straight and true, do quality trigger work, etc. 

I think the $$ return is just not there, given the schooling required, business license, lease or buy a shop full of tools, lathe, milling machine, drill press, manuals, contacts in the parts and accessories business, and a big one, liability insurance.  Too bad.  Real gunsmiths used to turn out some beautiful, quality work.  Now we have everyone "building" their own rifles.  Ha.  Lots of bubba'd. work on fine, classic guns that just makes you cringe, and sticking parts together on an AR of some sort, which then never gets shot past 75 yds., and never from an unsupported field position.  Funny.

Last guy I knew who had real ability, was fast and reasonably priced, got recruited by one or more gov't. agencies (he also knew how to work on full-auto and milspec. gear) so now he fixes stuff for who knows, FBI, DHS, CIA, no way of knowing be he's been gone from the civilian market for years.

• Like 1