Sign in to follow this  
savagman

Canning game meat

I decided a while back to try canning meat.  We were fortunate enough put elk in the freezer and have plenty cubed and ready to go. 

I bought a Presto Pressure Canner (a must to safely can meat and low acid food).  Using tried and true recipes as my base, we rolled up our sleeves and got busy.  We started with pinto beans and also raw pack elk cubes yesterday.  Came out great.  Plain it's a little salty but in a dish it should be great.  The meat pressure cooks in the jar so it comes out fall apart tender.

We are working on elk stew right now.  This is a little different as the meat is browned 1st and broth covers everything from the get go.  

It is intimidating at first due to all the fear mongering online.  But at the end of the day we felt comfortable. Be careful, follow directions, and only use university, cooperative extension, or other lab tested recipes.

I will add pictures when the jars come out of the canner.

PXL_20220508_182630103.jpg

PXL_20220508_182830164.jpg

PXL_20220508_185245401.jpg

PXL_20220508_185241985.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

We do the same, comes out great!

Hot pack is a bit more work but the end result is more attractive.  Not sure about the flavor but we will find out soon.

PXL_20220508_225852948.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CouesPursuit said:

How long is the shelf life on one of those? 

How long can you keep canned meat?

That's simply a USDA guideline and has been for a long time: the shelf life of your canned food is one year….. We always adhere to current USDA guidelines, and that is, once you preserve your food you have one year to eat that to get the best nutrient value out of that.”
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CouesPursuit said:

How long is the shelf life on one of those? 

Many online indicate a much longer life.  I have used jelly that's several years old and it is still great.  

I cracked open a jar of trout a few weeks ago from 2014. Tasted like the other jars I opened in 2015-16. (Found this one in the back) most important thing is a clean seal, lid, boiled and sterilized jar. Start brain surgeon clean abs your food will last a long time. Now I would not eat a fruit jam or something water bathed from that long ago unless I was sure! But at that point, I’ll buy peach jam and not risk it. To each their own.

I have some Coues deer from 2012 I’m still eating, still taste good. 

• Like 1