Sign in to follow this  
Bucks N Bulls

Goulds in the Santa Ritas

After years of waiting. I finally drew the tag. Opening day my wife and i called and got a response. He gobbled good but was moving away as he already was henned up. We moved in on him and saw he was missing a single tail feather. We played with him a bit and got some good footage of him strutting. I decided to pass him. If he had that feather he was a shooter for me.

Wife and i continued on and found some fresh tracks and strut marks. So started call8ng and got an imediate response. H3 2as coming quick. I handed call to my wife and told her to keep calling. She could see him coming in. I drew back and he came ot facing me at about 15 yards. I settled pin on his beard and let it fly. Arrow sailed through him and he kept strutting. I missed all body and went through nohing but feathers. He followed his hens down the mountain. Found the arrow and nothing but a little wad of down feather on the broadhead. 

We ended up with our 2 year old grandson that night do tounfortunate events. So we decided to take him with us on day 2. We went anotber area that we have seen birds in the past. Not a single response anywhere in the area. So wife said lets go back where we were the day before. So we made it back to the ranger and hauled butt. It was late in the morning and getting hot. Went back to the first area from the day before and found the same tom i had passed in the exact same spot as the day before. This time i had the wife call and move up behind me with our grandson. The tom and his hens were moving out. She stayed put and kept calling to keep him talking. I moved up the ridge and around and in on him. They could hear me and moved away slowly. Good thing these guys are so  uneducated. Hewas strutting and about 40 yards out. Knew it was tbe same tom but this time since my grandson was with us i decided i 2as gonna take him. So i did with 12 gauge and put him down.

I took him to taxidermist and he weighed 22lbs. Taxi also told me that he was deffinately old and mature. Turns out he has a genettic deffect and never had that tail feather. He also looked at me like i was crazy and was like ahh this is not a passable bird. My grandson being there with my wife and i was the best. This was his first experience outdoors.

Resized_20220507_071759(1).jpeg

Resized_20220507_072443.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Love 2

That's an awesome story and great looking thunder chicken! Congratulations! 

congrats! Beautiful Bird! I love the santa rita Goulds! they pretty much gobble year round!

Thanks for the comments. My wife just read the story and pointed out all my spelling and typo errors. Hate typing on the phone. The Santa Ritas is the only place i wanted a tag. It was worth the wait.

• Like 1