Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector

Deer/Sheep Regs

7 hours ago, Yuma Outdoorsman said:

What happens when the anti's call and report "harvests" for deer and the quotas fill? No rut hunting in the desert units. Does that happen with bear and lion at all? Just something that crossed my mind. 

Antis would have to buy a license and a tag, highly doubt they would spend the money knowing it would directly benefit the exact thing they despise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 654321 said:

Antis would have to buy a license and a tag, highly doubt they would spend the money knowing it would directly benefit the exact thing they despise.

They apply for hunts every year. 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, ForkHorn said:

It's not accurate data.  It's that simple.

If everyone would return the hunter surveys that get sent out for all hunts by email and paper they would have really good data. Participation is only around 40%. Can’t blame anyone but the hunter for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yotebuster said:

That’s fantastic!  We can use their money!  

lol…that’s true but they also hurt draw odds 🤷‍♂️

38 minutes ago, AZHUNTER05 said:

lol…that’s true but they also hurt draw odds 🤷‍♂️

Well if they don’t kill anything the populations should increase and tag increases will follow.  I personally am always rooting for tag cuts and higher buck to do ratios so if they can get money for someone to not shoot a critter I’m all for it.  

15 hours ago, bigorange said:

And how will the mandatory archery reporting be enforced?

Same as the game camera ban 🤪

Honestly, as with the game camera ban, I have no idea how it would be enforced. My point was that if they really want to manage the population and give archers 20% then all deer success regardless of weapon type should be mandatory to report. Hard to manage without know how many are taken overall per year. I do not see how they can enforce it and I am sure there will be archers that "forget" to report given the quota allotment.

• Like 1

Mandatory reporting or you can’t apply the following year.
Unsuccessful hunters should be required to return unused tags to prove they did not kill. 
If you fill your tag, you can only apply for a bonus point the following year. Should keep a lot of people from killing a smaller buck late in the season just to put meat in the freezer. 
** This is what I think AZGFD should do, not what I heard is coming**

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, 4huntrs said:

We’re about to be 100% by your portal account. No survey, No apply for next hunt. 

easy enough way to accomplish it…works in other states. Doesn’t account for the mandatory reporting within 48 hours, but it’s a start. 

• Like 1

Yes it’s going to be an honor system just like bear and lion. However when it’s full electronic tags the only way to tag it will be through the app system and it’s your survey.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AZHUNTER05 said:

They apply for hunts every year. 

Far more grandmas, grandpas, moms and dads applying for tags that dont hunt just to transfer a tag than antis hurting draw odds.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 4huntrs said:

If everyone would return the hunter surveys that get sent out for all hunts by email and paper they would have really good data. Participation is only around 40%. Can’t blame anyone but the hunter for that.

Participation would go up if they allowed us to send in our survey after the hunt was completed.    The 2 times I’ve hunted the late rifle, they ask for the harvest report to be submitted by Dec 1.   heck, I didn’t even know what dates I was gonna hunt by then, let alone when and if I was going to kill.  

3 hours ago, greg.shrum said:

Mandatory reporting or you can’t apply the following year.
Unsuccessful hunters should be required to return unused tags to prove they did not kill. 
If you fill your tag, you can only apply for a bonus point the following year. Should keep a lot of people from killing a smaller buck late in the season just to put meat in the freezer. 
** This is what I think AZGFD should do, not what I heard is coming**

What exactly is wrong with killing a buck to meat in the freezer?

• Like 11

1 hour ago, dustin25 said:

What exactly is wrong with killing a buck to meat in the freezer?

Yep, I thought hunting was for meat in the freezer. I guess I must be a hillbilly.

• Like 2