So I have a spring bear tag and I'm trying to figure this critter out.  I did some calling the other weekend and covered a ton of ground looking at tanks.   Didn't see a track (though some places were really rocky and didn't expect to see tracks).   What tactics should I use for spring bear.   I'm guessing they will be up higher at this time of year but not sure.   If I sit water when do they typically come in?   Are they like CWT or just whenever?   How often will they come to water (daily, weekly, monthly).   Do they return to the same tanks?   My tag is in 35a and 35b.   Not asking for the next hot spot, just trying to learn bears and their tendencies.

Thanks, 

recurveman 

the spring archery hunt is awesome. I've had the hunt several times and killed every time. Sit water! I used to have 3-5 bears a day come into water! you can be real picky and only shoot a big one. Afternoons were usally best. I would be in the stand by 1pm and then sit until dark. Bears were usally around 5-6000 ft.

For bear there is the holy Trinity.

1. Consistent water.- a water source that is not seasonal and always! Has water!

2. Main food source. Acorns,prickly pear, and to a lesser extent juniper berries.

3. Thick,thick cover.- deep dark canyons and such. 

If you find a spot with all three you will not only find a bear, you will find many.

I live in 7e and that perfect trifecta is lacking. Bears are highly travelsome and almost impossible to pattern. I travel father south to bear hunt.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nateNAU said:

1. Consistent water.- a water source that is not seasonal and always! Has water!

2. Main food source. Acorns,prickly pear, and to a lesser extent juniper berries.

If you find a spot with all three you will not only find a bear, you will find many.

I live in 7e and that perfect trifecta is lacking. Bears are highly travelsome and almost impossible to pattern. I travel father south to bear hunt.

Well I think I have the perfect spot.   Heading down this weekend for 3-4 days.   I'll see how it goes.   

7 hours ago, recurveman said:

Well I think I have the perfect spot.   Heading down this weekend for 3-4 days.   I'll see how it goes.   

Good luck! Make sure to post about your trip. As to your question about when spring bears water, it can be literally any time of the day.

On 5/10/2022 at 11:11 PM, nateNAU said:

Way late but I'm also trying to get a handle on this bear hunt. How does a consistent food source work in the spring? Cause acorns, berries, pears, etc are really blooming yet(might be leftovers from winter I suppose but now in april i  figure those are diminishing).  Also, based on the trinity, say that a canyon with a rocky north facing side, water in pools in the bottom(or a spring) that foster a riparian environment, and a south facing side with green ups(flowers, grasses, etc for spring hunting). Would this basically be perfect? A mix of water, food, shade, and ruggedness? Also, how do most tanks stack up against runoff water in canyon pools? Is there a preference? Cause tanks are "easier" to access than rough terrain for bears.

On 5/9/2022 at 7:14 PM, 520HUNT said:

the spring archery hunt is awesome. I've had the hunt several times and killed every time. Sit water! I used to have 3-5 bears a day come into water! you can be real picky and only shoot a big one. Afternoons were usally best. I would be in the stand by 1pm and then sit until dark. Bears were usally around 5-6000 ft.

Way late to this, but I'm curious around what time of year bears like to frequent watering holes daily. It's already getting pretty hot and I've got 1 more weekend before the rifle season closes. Might it be worth it to find a tank 1 or 2 miles from the nearast road and/or trail and just try to find a knoll above it to glass until something shows up? Also, have you tried predator calls to pull one into your zone? Would it be better to try to call when they wouldn't be looking for water or do it when they're looking for water(heat of the day?) to speed up their desire to head that way? Also based on the fact that the spring archery season is later that spring rifle, would sitting at a tank a little lower maybe 4500-5500' be a better bet for where the bears might be roaming during the end of rifle season?

Edited by CannonBallZ
added detail

Spring is so much different than fall that you can't hardly compare them.  Food is scattered in spring. Hard to target them like fall. I've seen them move to new mountain ranges come fall.  Last spring bear i killed was feeding heavily on a desert plant. His scat was pure green and pungent like the plant. He was very close to his den also. 

Good luck

IMG_20230509_182940.jpg

22 minutes ago, catclaw said:

Spring is so much different than fall that you can't hardly compare them.  Food is scattered in spring. Hard to target them like fall. I've seen them move to new mountain ranges come fall.  Last spring bear i killed was feeding heavily on a desert plant. His scat was pure green and pungent like the plant. He was very close to his den also. 

Good luck

IMG_20230509_182940.jpg

Super interesting, when would you say bears start becoming more predictable in the fall? I would guess it lines up with whenever things that blooming heavily so they can pack on the pounds early.

As soon as the pear and turbinella  Oaks are on they're much easier.  Same is true of the manazitas. 

On 5/9/2023 at 7:40 PM, catclaw said:

As soon as the pear and turbinella  Oaks are on they're much easier.  Same is true of the manazitas. 

So I have an idea of what fruiting plants bears might eat, such as oak acorns, prickly pear, and manzanita. Are there other fruiting plants here in AZ they target, either in the desert or when it transitions to more of a ponderosa environment, or even the alpine environments near unit 1 with the aspen/birch(idk which they are)? Finally, I havent found concrete info on when things fruit here. Obviously the elevation plays a role, as well as the plants age(i.e. oaks fruit every 3 years but they overlap in age so theres always acorns).