Sign in to follow this  
zeddro

Corner crossing in AZ

I don’t believe corner crossing is legal in any state is it?   I could be wrong.

It's ambiguous for sure. I don't think it's officially decided in az if not mistaken. I think another member posted something about some lawsuits that have yet to be determined. But not sure if they were here in az. 

7 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

It's ambiguous for sure. I don't think it's officially decided in az if not mistaken. I think another member posted something about some lawsuits that have yet to be determined. But not sure if they were here in az. 

The lawsuit was against 4 hunters in in Wyoming.  They were just recently found not guilty.   I believe There is a additional lawsuit going on against them now though.  They used a ladder to cross from BLM to BLM never physically touching the private land witch I believe should be completely legal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zslayer said:

...They used a ladder to cross from BLM to BLM never physically touching the private land...

Genius!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Northern Pintail said:

Private has to be posted in az to have a trespassing issue.  If it is posted properly then you would not be able to corner cross. 

This is correct. In Arizona its the land owner's responsibility to post private land. Most states its the hunters responsibility to know. If you are on private that is not posted and asked to leave, you must do so.

• Like 1

Corner crossing IS LEGAL in AZ!  I had an archery antelope tag in 2018 & was basically harassed by the ranch managers son on the Fain Ranch.  I corner crossed to get to a water hole on state land & the "kid" ruined my afternoon hunt stating I had trespassed.  He called the G&F who met him, then told him he was wrong & to leave hunters on state land alone or face prosecution. 

She (WM) left her business card on my truck asking me to call her that evening.   I did & she told me corner crossing is legal in AZ & if he harassed me again I should press charges & the G& F will back me up.

I was using OnX to do so as nothing was marked or fenced in the area.

Feel free to PM me if need be.

• Like 10

The game and fish office in Kingman has told me that it is NOT allowed. The unit by unit hunt area suggestions on game and fish website also kind of support this, essentially calling every checkerboard ranch area private and inaccessible without permission. Not sure if it has ever been legally tested here though. It’s a shame that the way to find out is to get a citation and go to court. I can think of many places in northern AZ where corner hopping would be very very nice to be able to do.

8 hours ago, Sneaker said:

The game and fish office in Kingman has told me that it is NOT allowed. The unit by unit hunt area suggestions on game and fish website also kind of support this, essentially calling every checkerboard ranch area private and inaccessible without permission. Not sure if it has ever been legally tested here though. It’s a shame that the way to find out is to get a citation and go to court. I can think of many places in northern AZ where corner hopping would be very very nice to be able to do.

While it’s ambiguous, I’d like to think that I wouldn’t be cited for it. Maybe just a warning if anything? Just my .02

Notify the owners of the Boquillas, ORO, X-One, AHA, or Fort Rock ranches before you do it, with time and your way points, and we will cheer you on with popcorn ready to see how she goes!

On 5/26/2022 at 11:06 PM, 1uofacat said:

Corner crossing IS LEGAL in AZ!  I had an archery antelope tag in 2018 & was basically harassed by the ranch managers son on the Fain Ranch.  I corner crossed to get to a water hole on state land & the "kid" ruined my afternoon hunt stating I had trespassed.  He called the G&F who met him, then told him he was wrong & to leave hunters on state land alone or face prosecution. 

She (WM) left her business card on my truck asking me to call her that evening.   I did & she told me corner crossing is legal in AZ & if he harassed me again I should press charges & the G& F will back me up.

I was using OnX to do so as nothing was marked or fenced in the area.

Feel free to PM me if need be.

In that situation going with what the WM said is fine, but had that gone any further you would have lost, or atleast the ranch owner would not have had any charges stick for harassment.  OnX is not accurate enough to corner cross.  IF you are going to corner cross you need to find the boundary pin and step directly over it.  OnX even has you check off that you understand that it is not accurate enough and you are liable.   Not saying I agree with it, but that’s the fact.  

Just a question for thought.  What is considered a " legally posted property "   We all have been out hunting and then have come to a fence or gate that has a no trespassing sign. But didnt know we were on private until we walked up and saw the sign on the gate.

2 hours ago, Tight Guy said:

Just a question for thought.  What is considered a " legally posted property "   We all have been out hunting and then have come to a fence or gate that has a no trespassing sign. But didnt know we were on private until we walked up and saw the sign on the gate.

Should be an easy Google search. I do know it has to be posted with a sighn every so many feet.