Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

Differences in Coues deer hunting seasons

Gonna go on my first rifle coues deer hunt this year. Wanted to see what kinda season seems best. What are the pros and cons of each one? The units I am looking at are the 36's and I think 34b for a 2nd choice (garunteed draw) with 2pts.

Any advice for weather scouting maybe road conditions and gear advice. Thank you!

If there is a Jr hunt before the regular hunt it stirs them up. Early hunts are hotter but less pressure which is good for hunters with little knowledge of the units. Roads are not usually an issue as those units are pretty dry.

Although they may get more rain than the Valley, roads will dry out pretty quick. Pick an area and set up camp then hunt on foot from there.

If you are going to do a lot of scouting and can handle the heat snd getting up really early then the first hunt is the best. 

nothing like finding a deer pre season. Keeping tabs on him and shooting him opening day. 

later hunts are nicer because they are cooler snd the sun rises later but bucks will have been pushed around. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SunDevil said:

If you are going to do a lot of scouting and can handle the heat snd getting up really early then the first hunt is the best. 

nothing like finding a deer pre season. Keeping tabs on him and shooting him opening day. 

later hunts are nicer because they are cooler snd the sun rises later but bucks will have been pushed around. 

Personally I am in the field and walking an hour before sunrise. But then I rarely get what most consider a good nights sleep. I do fine for about four hours but wake up every hour after that and lay there for 20 minutes.

• Like 2

All hunts there will be killable deer but in your position I think I'd go for first and second hunt. High draw chance and it gets you out there to experience something new. You've got a pretty darn good track record already and we are rooting for ya! I'm close to 34b so if you draw I'll help you with some info. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

All hunts there will be killable deer but in your position I think I'd go for first and second hunt. High draw chance and it gets you out there to experience something new. You've got a pretty darn good track record already and we are rooting for ya! I'm close to 34b so if you draw I'll help you with some info. 

Sounds good. I wanna learn a unit and go each year!

Remember the meat you got from your Kaibab muley? Divide it by 3.  Lol. Goats from heck.    You’ll probably see muleys and be pissed you have a coues tag. SouthernAZ is an amazing place, I lived there for many years. Take a shotgun, the quail hunting can be better than the deer hunting.  Just don’t shoot  the Mearns on the early  hunts, 

12 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

Remember the meat you got from your Kaibab muley? Divide it by 3.  Lol. Goats from heck.    You’ll probably see muleys and be pissed you have a coues tag. SouthernAZ is an amazing place, I lived there for many years. Take a shotgun, the quail hunting can be better than the deer hunting.  Just don’t shoot  the Mearns on the early  hunts, 

Sounds good! I never had quail before. Is it that good? Anything like dove?

One of the best hunts coues hunts in had was an Octber hunt with little to no moon, and the temp never got above 80.

1 hour ago, UggRedBilly said:

Sounds good! I never had quail before. Is it that good? Anything like dove?

Quail blows dove out of the water!  It’s really good.  To me it’s not even comparable.  Dove is a dark meat, quail is a white meat.

• Like 3

I live in 36a. If you're interested I will show you around if you want to come out sometime.

Lee

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peckl1 said:

I live in 36a. If you're interested I will show you around if you want to come out sometime.

Lee

That is one unit I am really looking at. I'll have to take you up on that offer if I draw a tag! Thank you!

7 hours ago, zslayer said:

Quail blows dove out of the water!  It’s really good.  To me it’s not even comparable.  Dove is a dark meat, quail is a white meat.

Sounds great. I'll have to try that out then!