Sign in to follow this  
PriceHuntsCoues

Low elevation bears

Saw one on elsworth and Ray on the news a few years ago. 

• Like 1

You got to figure that around the turn of the century (1900) that bears were at a low ebb out west. Why? Because stockmen, sheep or cattle, rode horseback armed and worked the range. Either working cows out of line camps or sheep men with the herds, any bear sighted was shot and no one cared. Stockmen would kill game for the meat because sheep and cows were money. Also market hunters shot the heck out of deer and elk to sell venison to the miners. Back then bears that did not get shot had very few elk or deer to pray on. Once regulated hunting came in and deer elk numbers went up and bear and cougar hunting became controlled their numbers began to grow again. Now a young bear is hard pressed to find his own territory, plenty of mature boars to push youngsters to the fringe of optimal habitats.

• Like 3

THey like it cool just like people. When we have drought they are on the move looking for food that never materialized.

6 hours ago, ctafoya said:

Saw one on elsworth and Ray on the news a few years ago. 

Wow that insane that’s right by where I live

Geez I thought I was seeing tracks low in the foothills by superior you guys are seeing the in people backyards lol.