Sign in to follow this  
PriceHuntsCoues

My first predator season

My first year predator hunting, Had no spots and no experience, so after picking my uncles brain, lots of miles on the truck and getting a fox pro for my 17th bday I got a few predators thinned out. Never ended up getting my goal of a bobcat or lion but Now I have a life long obsession when I got no tags or hunts going on. 

1BD69638-7A3B-4CE3-A7F9-4D20B8AE5878.png

561F7FF5-7B8A-416C-A6BC-8E2E36C207E5.png

DDF263A1-0184-480E-A6B6-94C107932D79.png

EC58B4D1-8F9A-4BFD-A4B4-A7E583816D7B.png

361E6002-E974-49CE-B186-2E7EE99E4FC1.png

F151DDA0-2E44-42D0-9763-54503B543701.png

0037BE83-A2AC-4F23-A31C-85B076C11607.png

6892B803-2E6B-430D-B0AC-FB60C3CFFF14.png

3D371361-AB05-4A82-B216-EDCF2AAF4533.png

9FE1A907-9C91-416A-923D-9178CE521CE7.png

• Like 26

That is awesome! Will you get into tanning and selling your furs? 

Great to see the next generation out there getting after it.

Thanks for sharing and all the best to you! 

Welcome to the site! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HorseHunter said:

That is awesome! Will you get into tanning and selling your furs? 

Great to see the next generation out there getting after it.

Thanks for sharing and all the best to you! 

Welcome to the site! 

I really want to get into it. Pretty intimidating and I got no where to do it without mom getting mad lol. I do skin the tails out, soak them in denatured alcohol and  hang them by gluing spent shotgun shells in the bases and I hang them in my room. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, eddielasvegas said:

Nicely done.

A lion is not considered a predator.  Link HERE.

I'd hate for you to call one in and take it and find you put yourself in a pickle.

Good luck,

Eddie

Trust me I know I always buy my lion tag and bear tag just in case… I know if I don’t buy a tag I’ll call one during season and will be kicking my self in the butt.

• Like 2

Very nice job getting past the predator learning curve and welcome to the site.

Time in the field with that lion tag in your pocket, you will run into an opportunity eventually. FWIW, I have run into 4 in the last 2 years, all 2-3 miles from the nearest trailhead in 3 different units.

8 minutes ago, CouesPursuit said:

Very nice job getting past the predator learning curve and welcome to the site.

Time in the field with that lion tag in your pocket, you will run into an opportunity eventually. FWIW, I have run into 4 in the last 2 years, all 2-3 miles from the nearest trailhead in 3 different units.

Yea I always see there tracks but never them lol. I’m still young got lots of hunting to do it will happen sooner or later. 

Well done. You are not alone in the pursuit of the trophy cats. MANY pred hunters have yet to get a cat.

Both frustrating and inspirational is the likelihood that you have already called them in, just didn't see them. You would be shocked how many cats have been called and not seen.

After awhile you will also learn how to specifically target cats if that is your desire. There are definitely "tips and tricks" to up your success rate on cats. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Well done. You are not alone in the pursuit of the trophy cats. MANY pred hunters have yet to get a cat.

Both frustrating and inspirational is the likelihood that you have already called them in, just didn't see them. You would be shocked how many cats have been called and not seen.

After awhile you will also learn how to specifically target cats if that is your desire. There are definitely "tips and tricks" to up your success rate on cats. 

Yea was just starting to get into trying to targets cats right before bobcat closed got to see my cousin call and kill his first bobcat and I was hooked. It will happen sooner or later lol. 

Good job. You obviously have a knack and intuition for it. Good on your uncle for sharing knowledge. It's pretty easy isn't it? Once you know how to hunt each terrain. Key is to hunt all types of terrain and altitudes.

There are varmints from the lowest elevations to the highest. WHat caliber (s) are you using?

16 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Good job. You obviously have a knack and intuition for it. Good on your uncle for sharing knowledge. It's pretty easy isn't it? Once you know how to hunt each terrain. Key is to hunt all types of terrain and altitudes.

There are varmints from the lowest elevations to the highest. WHat caliber (s) are you using?

I use my 6.5 creedmore. I know it’s big for fox’s but it’s better than using my 28 nosler. I also call in country the holds bears and lions and I always have a tag when it’s open so if I do call one in I have a little more boom. 

1 hour ago, PriceHuntsCoues said:

I use my 6.5 creedmore. I know it’s big for fox’s but it’s better than using my 28 nosler. I also call in country the holds bears and lions and I always have a tag when it’s open so if I do call one in I have a little more boom. 

Great hunting, good job!

Didn't look like the creed blew the foxes up too bad, or were you hiding the damage? Which bullet are you using, soft points?

34 minutes ago, andyyy said:

Great hunting, good job!

Didn't look like the creed blew the foxes up too bad, or were you hiding the damage? Which bullet are you using, soft points?

Yea I’m pretty good at hiding the damage lol

• Haha 1