JSR

Why do they keep doing this?

Now its being brought up that the parents sue DD. This is the dumbest thing I've heard. I have an SRT Challenger. I like Bud light. So, lets say I get drunk, get in the car, get in an accident and kill someone, are the families going to be able to sue Dodge for marketing a car that can go fast, and my good friends at Anheuser-Bush for making a product that made me reckless? Then, will the Dems demand that alcohol and fast cars be banned? Where does this end? God forbid if I were to do this in my truck! High capacity vehicle and all.....

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ctafoya said:

Now its being brought up that the parents sue DD. This is the dumbest thing I've heard. I have an SRT Challenger. I like Bud light. So, lets say I get drunk, get in the car, get in an accident and kill someone, are the families going to be able to sue Dodge for marketing a car that can go fast, and my good friends at Anheuser-Bush for making a product that made me reckless? Then, will the Dems demand that alcohol and fast cars be banned? Where does this end? God forbid if I were to do this in my truck! High capacity vehicle and all.....

Actually................I've heard you can drive into a crowded sidewalk at Christmas time and be just fine.........................

• Like 1

The article i read today said law enforcement engaged the shooter outside the school before he made entry. Then SWAT was called. But when the BP guy showed up he grabbed a couple dudes and made entry. The BP guy was shot three times and two more guys were shot. 

I've taken active shooter training. The whole point is seek and destroy the bad guy ASAP. So them waiting 40 minutes to make entry is crazy.

There were also officers who were rescuing kids from other class rooms while the shooter was barricaded. 

• Like 2

I know our school has already reached out to parents for ideas. I would love to see doors on every classroom that are always locked and can only be opened by the teacher or a few master keys of some kind. Along with armed security. Shooting happen fast, but I think the idea of armed security would deter people from thinking schools are soft targets. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ctafoya said:

The Sandy Hook families sued Remington and won over 70M...    But yes, I agree it's stupid.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ohthatguy said:

The Sandy Hook families sued Remington and won over 70M...    But yes, I agree it's stupid.

I was thinking same…couldn’t remember specifics other than Remington. 

58 minutes ago, zackcarp said:

The article i read today said law enforcement engaged the shooter outside the school before he made entry. Then SWAT was called. But when the BP guy showed up he grabbed a couple dudes and made entry. The BP guy was shot three times and two more guys were shot. 

I've taken active shooter training. The whole point is seek and destroy the bad guy ASAP. So them waiting 40 minutes to make entry is crazy.

There were also officers who were rescuing kids from other class rooms while the shooter was barricaded. 

BP guy was in the area training. I dont know if 1 or 3 BORTAC agents made entry, but the agent was VERY slightly hit in the head, but took the shooter down. 

Don't know the guy, but proud as heck of him.

• Like 7

I'm not posting this as truth, but if it is accurate, this is hard to fathom for a propeller head IT guy like myself.

Is there a LEO/SWAT member here that can elaborate on why this (retreating) might make sense?

Eddie

image.thumb.png.dfbb081d793557f3f63a40f09588c5f2.png

10 minutes ago, eddielasvegas said:

I'm not posting this as truth, but if it is accurate, this is hard to fathom for a propeller head IT guy like myself.

Is there a LEO/SWAT member here that can elaborate on why this (retreating) might make sense?

Eddie

image.thumb.png.dfbb081d793557f3f63a40f09588c5f2.png

1 hour ago, zackcarp said:

Crazy how news and info travels SO fast and gets distorted along the way.   Abbott originally said the shooter was engaged by LE outside of the school upon arrival.  Apparently not true.  (I don't begrudge Abbott, or frankly anyone else for spreading misinformation early on.  Officials try to be engaged and give updates, but are only as good as the information they are handed/given to share...)

Latest update says that the shooter was definitely NOT engaged outside of the school.

Texas police defend 'complex' shooting response as more details emerge (yahoo.com)

edit:  Can't comment on your question of retreat, Eddie.

1 hour ago, Ohthatguy said:

The families did not "win" in court. Remington paid up to make the lawsuit go away. Insurance company decided cheaper to pay that go to court.

Those who take active shooter are trained to engage the threat until he dies or essentially you do. No one knows how they'll act until they are in that kind of situation. 

And yes, God Bless BORTAC. This admin has painted them as demons but those guys put in the work so people can sleep safe at night. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, AZAV8ER said:

The families did not "win" in court. Remington paid up to make the lawsuit go away. Insurance company decided cheaper to pay that go to court.

Gun was used in mass shooting

Families sued gun maker

Families got paid 70M

Guess it all depends on what you consider a win...

A school safety bill was blocked today in the Senate because one party said that it will be gun control or nothing. 

29 minutes ago, JSR said:

A school safety bill was blocked today in the Senate because one party said that it will be gun control or nothing. 

Oh do tell, what party would that be?

Tragic situation.

I've heard it said, if you fail to plan you are planning to fail.

For those saying "what can be done?" 

This FBI resource is a good start. You can use "ctrl f" to find keywords if you don't want to read the document in its entirety.

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/rems-k-12-guide-508.pdf   

It's a 75 page comprehensive plan that someone put a lot of time into creating and IMO should be reviewed and implemented at every school.

• Like 2