Sign in to follow this  
greg.shrum

10mm??

Going to Montana this year for deer and looking to pick up a handgun for bear defense, black and grizzly. Looking at a 10mm because of round capacity and trying to decide between a Glock, Smith and Wesson or a springfield. All seem to be in the $500-$550 range so I’m looking for input on which one is best, or does it really not make much difference? Should I step up to .44 mag or .50AE Desert eagle, or stick with a revolver because 5-6 shots is enough? Any recommendations? 

Oh this subject gets people all worked up on every gun or hunting site I've ever been on for no good reason most of the time. AR15.com had some guys from Alaska comment on a thread about this exact thing and they had some practical reasoning as the plus and minuses on revolver verse semi auto for bear defense. In the end they all chose 10mm. I've got a Glock 20 and love it. I think whatever style you are most familiar and proficient with, would be best. Hardcast lead ammo in any caliber or configuration you choose. 

A plus to the glock 20 is you can get a 40 barrel for it and practice cheaper if you wanted. I'd like the M&P 10mm if I didn't already have the Glock

• Like 1

I just picked up a S&W model 610 10mm revolver, it came with some half moon clips so that I could shoot 40 out of it.

Not sure about my XD10mm though.

The 10mm is fantastic.

I've got a glock g20 and like it but also have a redhawk 44 mag short barrel and the glock usually wins .It is lighter and holds more rounds .My buddy has the springfield and likes it .Bolth revolver or semi work well its all about what your most comfortable with .

Agree on all of the above that whatever you shoot best is the best pick. Multiple rounds on target fastest is the goal. For most people, once you get above 44 mag the recoil recovery limits quick accurate follow up shots

That being said, a small RMR optic on a 10mm would be pretty hard to top I’m bear country . I prefer Glock but any of the three would work well. 

I have a Glock model 40 with a red dot on it Etc that I could be talked out of. Have some upgrades and a brand-new optic on it so it won't be in the $500 price range but we can talk price.

• Like 1

I’m in the same situation and am getting the Glock. Was in law enforcement for 36+ and carried Glocks. Liked them and have dumped a lot if rounds down range so figured I better stick with what I know the best. If the you know what hits the fan don’t need to be thinking about the gun, go with what you know and are comfortable with

4 hours ago, Lucafu1 said:

You can shoot .40 out of a Glock 20 without shaping anything. I do it all the time. I love the G20.

Using the same mags as well I assume?? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BeardownAZ said:

Using the same mags as well I assume?? 

Yes

I'd go with the glock but would take the glock 40 over the 20. Extra velocity for about .3 extra in weight but an extra 1.5 in barrel length.  Also slightly less trigger pull weight vs the 20.

I hear you guys, but when I went to bear country last year, I went with a group of guys.  I don’t think I’d want to haul a carcass out by myself in grizz country.  Get some sucker to pack a 45.70 for you.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Fcw80- post or pm me with pics and price or any trades you may be interested in. FYI- I have a trolling motor in my garage not being used. 

One less mm will be just fine. Don't over think it. PLenty of bears have been deterred/killed with less. Lot's of statistics out there if you have the time to look about bear encounters. If you get off one shot you're a stud, two and you're a god.

8 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I have a Glock model 40 with a red dot on it Etc that I could be talked out of. Have some upgrades and a brand-new optic on it so it won't be in the $500 price range but we can talk price.

Not to derail this, but with upgrades did you throw on? I love my G20, but am always open to new ideas with it