codyhuntsaz

Tranny Mechanic

Not that kind of tranny ya pervs…now that that’s out of the way….who is or knows a good transmission mechanic or shop? Preferably in the east valley. My wife’s 2012 Nissan Murano decided to have a tranny issue and have the AC compressor go out all on the same trip up to Payson! Ive had the compressor replace already, but my mechanic doesn’t want to touch the tranny. It has 3 error codes, I have them if needed. He said he thinks it needs a whole new tranny, I’m really hoping it can be repaired. 

Not in the East Valley, but Pete's Transmissions in central Phoenix knows their stuff will treat you right! Worth making the trip (speaking from personal experience a few months ago) ...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lv2hnt said:

Not in the East Valley, but Pete's Transmissions in central Phoenix knows their stuff will treat you right! Worth making the trip (speaking from personal experience a few months ago) ...

Pete’s a good dude and hunter. Talk to Erika down there she’ll treat you right. 

• Like 1

Ended up going with Transmission Factory they have pretty extensive knowledge of CVT transmissions. We will see when I get the estimate how bad the damage is. 

I had to replace the CVT in my Sentra. From my understanding (what I was told anyways) that they can't really be "fixed", just replaced. I was told this by my local mechanic, whom we know and trust, as well as the dealer. 

Unfortunately,  that new tranny was more expensive than upgrading the tranny in my 07 Dodge. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I had to replace the CVT in my Sentra. From my understanding (what I was told anyways) that they can't really be "fixed", just replaced. I was told this by my local mechanic, whom we know and trust, as well as the dealer. 

Unfortunately,  that new tranny was more expensive than upgrading the tranny in my 07 Dodge. 

Ya that’s basically what I’ve heard too. I was quoted $3800-$4500 over the phone before he looked at it. I guess they are known to take a crap between 140k-180k pretty consistently. 

31 minutes ago, codyhuntsaz said:

Ya that’s basically what I’ve heard too. I was quoted $3800-$4500 over the phone before he looked at it. I guess they are known to take a crap between 140k-180k pretty consistently. 

Bought it at like 83500 from a member, found out the warranty expired at 84,000 🥸

Had to have it completely replaced at about 130, maybe 140.

On 6/2/2022 at 11:20 AM, codyhuntsaz said:

Just curious if you had been changing the fluid every 30k miles or so?  I hear the CVTs are more sensitive so needing that type of maintenance.  My civic has a CVT and about 40k miles, so hoping to avoid that big bill in the future.

2 minutes ago, G_E_E said:

Just curious if you had been changing the fluid every 30k miles or so?  I hear the CVTs are more sensitive so needing that type of maintenance.  My civic has a CVT and about 40k miles, so hoping to avoid that big bill in the future.

We changed it at 50k and 100k. The mechanic said regardless of routine maintenance they are almost guaranteed to go out by 180k miles. Ended up costing $5100 with a $400 cash discount. 

dang!!!  I still miss my 08 civic that was totalled, had over 250k miles without major issues.  Seems like more planned obsolescence with these newer cars.  

23 minutes ago, G_E_E said:

dang!!!  I still miss my 08 civic that was totalled, had over 250k miles without major issues.  Seems like more planned obsolescence with these newer cars.  

Doesn’t help that Nissan won’t sell the needed parts to fix the transmission either. Per the mechanic it’s just a pully system that goes bad. Nissan doesn’t sell any transmission parts so they force you to replace the whole thing.