Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Brake and Accuracy. I know age old question

So after years of watching me our our boys hunt my wife finally agreed to get behind the trigger.  She’s not afraid to shoot, she’s actually a great shot, she just wasn’t ready to put the crosshairs on an animal.  
anyway she has a cow elk tag this fall and we will likely do some hiking so I’m kinda set on the Savage Ultra light with the proof research barrel 5.8lb.  Gets nice review.  And while kinda ugly the Savage I have owned shoot well.   Ok she’s also a lefty and we tried her shooting my right handed rifles and it was just a bit awkward.  
I was leaning toward 6.5 prc because of the recoil and the slightly better energy over the 6.5 creed. . Then I tried to find ammo.  Uh not paying $5.00 a round. I’m not reloading anymore either sold my gear. 
the Ultralight is threaded for a brake. I don’t have any rifles with a brake. So I thought maybe I’d choose an ammo easier to find in a bigger caliber to give her some room for shot placement.  The rifles comes in 308 270 28 Nos 280 AI 30-06 300 wsm 6.5 creed 6.5 prc   Hope to keep the shot under 400 yards.  So couple questions 

will threading a brake on effect accuracy?

if we zero and practice with the brake and remove it for hunting will POI change?  I suppose I can find that out myself after zero with brake but curious what long range hunters think 

any recommended screw on brakes?  

as always thanks for any tips or advice 

she might be able handle a 270 without a brake but if she gets flinchy I want to be able to put a brake on 

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Keep the brake on and carry electronic ear muffs. My go to the past few years. 

This. Don’t forget the earmuffs and keep some spare earplugs with the rifle just in case. 

The break will change poi but for recoil reduction they can't be beat.The drop in recoil is around 40% give or take.I had my buddy's wife that had only shot a 22 at the field day shoot a 243 no break and she didn't like it then shoot a 30-06 with a break and she was dialed in and shootin x rings .She took her first cow elk with it .Hearing protection is a must !!!

So any brake recommendations?  This barrel is fairly light any recommendations on brakes that won’t tip the balance of the rifle 

1 hour ago, apache12 said:

So any brake recommendations?  This barrel is fairly light any recommendations on brakes that won’t tip the balance of the rifle 

I’m happy with the Gen 2 Little Bastard. I don’t know how it compares to other brakes as far as weight goes. 

Put a brake on it. Axisworks has self timing brakes now, I am about to get one for my sons new rifle. 

Axisworks has out brakes on a couple of my rifles and they GREATLY reduce recoil. I would look at his 5 port series to maximize recoil reduction. 

With a 6lb rifle you will want a brake for sure and keep the caliber down, they will be punchy.

For the calibers you listed and 400 yard shots I would look at 270, 6.5 creed, 308, 280AI. 

The brake shouldn't hurt accuracy. My stock vanguard 300 weatherby will shoot .75 MOA with its brake. If you want bad accuracy let her shoot a light rifle without the brake and it will beat the crap out of her and she will start flinching. 

Ill second axis works .I had them install a break on the 1903 springfield I donated to premote youth hunting and they did a great job.It made the 30-06 tame enough that the winner a 13 year old could shoot with no problem.They are quick at turning them out and I got the gun back in just a few weeks .with the blend to the barrel seamless.

See what ammo you CAN find then get the rifle to match.

I have a feeling ALL ammo is going to be even harder to find real soon. 

• Like 1

I have a savage ultralight in 28 nos and put a .30 cal bergera brake on it. Shoots really well and recoil is not bad, considering the weight and caliber.