Sam

Parking Outside

Looking for shade ideas. It is hard to watch a $40,000 truck sit in the sun all summer. Up until a few years ago, I have always parked my truck in the garage. Due to getting a bigger truck and daughter moving back home after college and other daughter home for the summer, my truck is baking outside.  Has anyone had a carport type structure built in their driveway? I know it will look horrible, but, I don't have a place for shade trees due to my driveway going to the property line. It is 4 vehicles wide and I thought of cutting out part of the drive to make room for trees. But, given the drought, I'm not sure if I need more to water and I don't want to end up with a cracked driveway.  Any suggestions - No, I am not making wife and daughter park outside, their vehicles are nicer than mine. 

• Like 1

Where you live, cross streets? Used to be you needed a permit for any shade structure over 64sq'. But recently it's been changed to 200' in Maricopa county.

A friend recently put up a 32'x12', R paneling and 8" perlins, 11ga 4x4s.  Materials from LP ran about $2300.

• Like 1

LP steel is your friend for low cost do it yourself, if you want the good stuff Aluma wood shades are really nice and match whatever your house colors are. Ive been trying to talk the wife into shades in our driveway also but i need an RV shade first

• Like 1

1 hour ago, el diablo said:

What city are you in? 

Scottsdale 

14 hours ago, Edge said:

Where you live, cross streets? Used to be you needed a permit for any shade structure over 64sq'. But recently it's been changed to 200' in Maricopa county.

A friend recently put up a 32'x12', R paneling and 8" perlins, 11ga 4x4s.  Materials from LP ran about $2300.

56th street and the 101. I did not think about the permit issue. I thought since it was not attached to the house and it it was free standing, a permit would not be required. $2300 isn't too bad. I was hoping for around $1500.  I am sure my neighbors will hate me. As will my wife. 

Anyone ever use a truck cover? Any recommendations? 

1 hour ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

LP steel is your friend for low cost do it yourself, if you want the good stuff Aluma wood shades are really nice and match whatever your house colors are. Ive been trying to talk the wife into shades in our driveway also but i need an RV shade first

Thanks I will look into it. My old CJ 5 and 74 Blazer were way easier to fit in the garage and a fraction of the price. 

10 hours ago, Sam said:

56th street and the 101. I did not think about the permit issue. I thought since it was not attached to the house and it it was free standing, a permit would not be required. $2300 isn't too bad. I was hoping for around $1500.  I am sure my neighbors will hate me. As will my wife. 

Anyone ever use a truck cover? Any recommendations? 

I bought a cab cover for my crew cab pickup after I got it repainted and added a flatbed.

Pro tip: I always wash my pickup before I use it so any dust doesn't scratch the paint when the cover is on. 

https://www.covercraft.com/us/en

Covercraft is a good outfit with quality products. 

• Like 1

I bought a cover from harbor freight.  10 x 20   The frame is good but it needs some ratchet straps to lessen the wobble.  We'll see how long the tarp lasts.  A quick shade for the cab would be a pop up.  Any shade would have to be anchored.  The configuration of your driveway may dictate what the government Nazis would say.  

So I believe you’re in Phoenix with a Scottsdale address. A shade structure is considered a detached accessory structure. Anything over 200 ft.² requires a permit and you cannot have a detached accessory structure in your front yard. it will also have to meet setback requirements. If you think your neighbors are not going to like it they will call the city 

Cheaper option go get it cerama coated for less than 1k. Should help you for 5-6 years in the sun. They do the trim now as well. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input everyone. No decision made on which route I am going to take, just more to think about. 

On 6/13/2022 at 8:46 AM, eastvalleyjerry said:

Been seeing people putting shade sails over their driveways but i just question how long those hold up in the heat and wind.

Mine lasted 1 years and started falling apart. 

5 hours ago, ctafoya said:

Mine lasted 1 years and started falling apart. 

We had one at work that our detail guys worked under. It was pry 50x30’ and was used for almost 10 years before they moved the dept. indoors.