Sign in to follow this  
az41mag

Looking for a mechanic in the Valley

Hi all, I'm looking for a good mechanic to do some engine work on a Chevy 6.0L gasser. Just wanted to see if there were any CWT members that do this sort of work, or if there's anyone in the valley that could be recommended. Engine's making some tapping/ knocking noise when at operating temps and idling for extended times (~10-20 min.). The best guess so far is that there could be some bad lifters and/or possibly an oil pump issue. Chevy dealer recommended replacing the entire engine (their typical protocol), but I'm not sure that I'm ready to invest that kind of money yet. The engine only has 95K on it, so I have to think there's still some life left in it. Located in Maricopa, so would like to find someone in the valley. Thx

Ive had good luck at Japan motors at Lindsay and main.

The neighbor recommended them to me. Had to take the stepson's 88 bronco 2 in there. Decent guys, honset, and theyll find you price options that wont  charge an arm or a leg....or other body part.

Japan motors, but they work on everything. Seen some nice custom classic muscle projects go through there.  Might be a little short handed now however.

Just had some work done at Lindsay’s Auto Service  in Mesa. Dealership couldn’t even diagnose the problem and wanted to do a tear down to the tune of $1,300…Lindsay’s diagnosed and fixed the truck for $900.

2 hours ago, Bucks&bulls said:

Just had some work done at Lindsay’s Auto Service  in Mesa. Dealership couldn’t even diagnose the problem and wanted to do a tear down to the tune of $1,300…Lindsay’s diagnosed and fixed the truck for $900.

What kind of truck and what was wrong with it 

2016 Silverado 5.3L with 86,000miles. Had a PO50D code . Chevrolet dealership said that I had low compression on #1 cylinder and quoted $1,300 just to tear it down and evaluate. Didn’t buy it.

Lindsay’s replaced the #1 cylinder fuel injector, cleaned the valves and did a couple unrelated things. They said the compression was only a little low. After the valves were cleaned the compression is fine. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Chevys tick. If it’s a normal tick then just keep on keeping on. Mines been ticking for 100k. Depends on how bad the tick is.

This is very true and especially if the engine has AFM/ DOD on it.  Mine does not have that thankfully, but my ticking issue is a little different. It will only start after it's at operating temp and has been idling for about 10-20 minutes. It starts as ticking and will get progressively worse turning into a knock within a few minutes. Increasing the throttle a little will make the noise go away temporarily, but it will return after a few minutes. The oil pressure also increases when you accelerate (and noise goes away), so we're leaning towards oil pressure issues.

I'll also add Lindsay's to my list to call today. Thanks