Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Hunter Education Field Day?

My 10yr old just passed the online course for the hunters ed. Are they actually doing and requiring field days right now. I only see 1 showing that is way over in Clifton. 

Does he have to have the field day to be eligible to hunt? I know they cancelled them during covid. 

My son just went last week to Ben Avery.  They held four courses and they sold out quick.  Just keep checking the site, the courses pop up randomly.  

There still has not been an announcement that it is required and the instructor last week said they have a lot of catching up to do.  

The Hunter Ed Advisory Committee has a meeting tomorrow night with AGFD HE staff.  This is a great question to ask since it's been clear as mud lately.  I'll make sure and ask.  I know we'll be putting on regular online field days in Flagstaff this summer, so stay up on the website for updates.

When my stepson got his first tag... we couldn't find a field day.  I finally reached out and called the HE program. I explained that the boy had a tag in hand but couldnt get into a class.  The guys were pretty cool. They allowed us to just attend the field day (even though it was full). They were even nice enough to let me take it with him (highly recommended).

In the end, i think 3/4 of the people that day were in a similar situation. In the end they cut the class into thirds and did the lesson plan.

*not saying to bombard them, but the instructors are pretty accomodating.

I took the class years ago, but will definitely attend the field day with him to make sure he is comfortable.

He didn't draw an elk tag, but we will see if he can manage a deer tag maybe. 

20 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

I took the class years ago, but will definitely attend the field day with him to make sure he is comfortable.

He didn't draw an elk tag, but we will see if he can manage a deer tag maybe. 

One of our instructors is trying to plan and organize an online field day in Flagstaff for online students post-deer draw.  He's looking at either July 18 or 23.  I'm on the bubble for helping on the 23rd (my only possible day).  Be advised, though, we typically ask parents that bring their kids to stay behind in the shade during the walk-through/non-shooting portions (parents aren't allowed on the shooting range, anyway).  We've found it eliminates parents badgering and pressuring their kids for correct/wrong answers and lets the kids be fully engaged without fear of what a parent/grandparent will do say.  We have at least two instructors for every 10 students, per policy.  If the parent is a registered student, then the above doesn't apply and we encourage parents to take the class with their kids for the very reason you mention.  Let me know if I can help you with anything on the class up here, assuming it happens.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IA Born said:

One of our instructors is trying to plan and organize an online field day in Flagstaff for online students post-deer draw.  He's looking at either July 18 or 23.  I'm on the bubble for helping on the 23rd (my only possible day).  Be advised, though, we typically ask parents that bring their kids to stay behind in the shade during the walk-through/non-shooting portions (parents aren't allowed on the shooting range, anyway).  We've found it eliminates parents badgering and pressuring their kids for correct/wrong answers and lets the kids be fully engaged without fear of what a parent/grandparent will do say.  We have at least two instructors for every 10 students, per policy.  If the parent is a registered student, then the above doesn't apply and we encourage parents to take the class with their kids for the very reason you mention.  Let me know if I can help you with anything on the class up here, assuming it happens.

Let me know the date if it happens and I will make sure it fits our schedule and get him enrolled. 

• Like 1

Update sent out to HE Instructors this morning regarding the need for field days:

"We have been granted an extension on the Hunter Education Deferral for this fall and next springs youth hunts.  This should take the pressure off and help us get back to normal operations by the end of the year.

HE Deferral - (applies to all youth with big game tags) is in place which defers the completion of the online field day:  To ensure youth ages 10 through 13 who have big game tags for upcoming hunts are able to participate in that hunt, AZGFD will allow them to defer completion of the required, in-person portion of Hunter Education until we resume normal operations."

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 8:41 PM, Hoss50 said:

Let me know the date if it happens and I will make sure it fits our schedule and get him enrolled. 

Looks like they have it set for July 23rd, starting at 0730 at the Northern Arizona Shooting Range just east of Flagstaff.  Not sure of my availability, but it will likely be posted on AGFD website after July 4.  I could be wrong on that.  It could be earlier, depending on how AGFD runs their posting timeline.  I know new classes are always posted on a Tuesday.  It will likely be limited to 18 slots due to the limited number of instructors available, though, so keep a sharp eye out and get registered quickly.