codyhuntsaz

Hypothetical draw question

If a child draws a general season deer tag and wants to surrender it and take a “hand me down tag” from grandpa, is that allowed? 

No, you cannot pass down a tag to a child that was drawn.  When you go to the Game and Fish Office to transfer the tag that is one of the first things they ask.  If they drew a tag they cannot take a transfer.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, krp said:

Yes, it's been done.

Kent

Maybe if you get the right GF employee.  My son has had two transferred tags and both times they checked to make sure he was not drawn.  I also specifically asked about this and they said it was not allowed but there may be some employees that do not check. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigj23 said:

No, you cannot pass down a tag to a child that was drawn.  When you go to the Game and Fish Office to transfer the tag that is one of the first things they ask.  If they drew a tag they cannot take a transfer.  

Interesting, i would have thought it not a problem. Good to know

2 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Interesting, i would have thought it not a problem. Good to know

I told my buddy to call G$F, his kid, not mine, but I thought it was an interesting question. 

• Like 1

Are you sure it’s not just so they don’t have two tags.  If grandpa is signing over his strip tag and the kid drew a youth tag, G&F would  need to know this to remove the youth hunt. I would think. But been wrong many time today already.  

• Like 2

I asked this same question with intentions to give my son my tag if it was more desirable than what he drew, GF lady said no.

• Like 1

Turn in the tag early/first "because of schedule conflicts" and wait a bit and then transfer the tag. So when asked they really don't have a tag. Too easy.

18 minutes ago, Lucafu1 said:

Turn in the tag early/first "because of schedule conflicts" and wait a bit and then transfer the tag. So when asked they really don't have a tag. Too easy.

Game and Fish said it doesn’t matter if it is turned in or not.  If they draw they are not eligible for a tag transfer.  I asked these questions when I transferred the first tag to my son to prepare for future years and other kids that would be hunting soon.  I asked about point guard and veterans donation and Game and Fish said it does not matter.  If they are drawn they cannot receive a transfer.  

if you follow the theory above your kid will be SOL. 

• Like 1

Circumstances where a tag can be transferred or donated

• Transfer from a parent, grandparent or guardian to their minor child or grandchild. A parent, grandparent or legal guardian holding a big game tag may allow the use of that tag by their minor child or minor grandchild pursuant to the following requirements:
  • The minor child is 10 to 17 years old on the date of transfer;
  • The minor child has a valid hunting or combination license on the date of transfer;
  • A minor child less than 14 years old has satisfactorily completed a Department-approved hunter education course by the beginning date of the hunt;
  • A minor child or grandchild receiving an unused tag from a parent, grandparent, or legal guardian shall be
    accompanied into the field by any grandparent, parent, or legal guardian of the minor child.
**Note: There is a $8 fee for the big game tag transfer to cover the administrative costs for processing the transfer and producing an additional tag. See more info. Once a tag is transferred at a Department office, the original permittee may no longer use it.

Nothing in the regs say you can't.

I know it's happened, asking someone at G&F in the office is just getting their opinion.

Obviously they can't be holding a tag at the time of transfer.

Kent

• Like 1