codyhuntsaz

Hypothetical draw question

5 minutes ago, krp said:

Circumstances where a tag can be transferred or donated

• Transfer from a parent, grandparent or guardian to their minor child or grandchild. A parent, grandparent or legal guardian holding a big game tag may allow the use of that tag by their minor child or minor grandchild pursuant to the following requirements:
  • The minor child is 10 to 17 years old on the date of transfer;
  • The minor child has a valid hunting or combination license on the date of transfer;
  • A minor child less than 14 years old has satisfactorily completed a Department-approved hunter education course by the beginning date of the hunt;
  • A minor child or grandchild receiving an unused tag from a parent, grandparent, or legal guardian shall be
    accompanied into the field by any grandparent, parent, or legal guardian of the minor child.
**Note: There is a $8 fee for the big game tag transfer to cover the administrative costs for processing the transfer and producing an additional tag. See more info. Once a tag is transferred at a Department office, the original permittee may no longer use it.

Interesting, is there a rule that says you can’t apply for a leftover tag if you’ve already drawn a tag for the same species?  Wouldn’t that be the same thing, except you would hold 2 tags simultaneously. 

Well you can hold an OTC tag and draw tag.

Also I suppose if a youth had a youth tag and didn't fill in the earlier season, they could have a tag transferred to them for a later season and hunt again... theoretically.

Kent

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, krp said:

Well you can hold an OTC tag and draw tag.

Also I suppose if a youth had a youth tag and didn't fill in the earlier season, they could have a tag transferred to them for a later season and hunt again... theoretically.

Kent

The OTC tag is a non-permit tag though. A general season tag is a permitted tag. Could a child draw a youth hunt, not kill, take grandma’s October tag, not kill, get grandpas early November tag, not kill, use grandma number 2s late November tag, pass some more bucks just to use grandpa number 2s December tag to slam a rut buck, therefore having 5 tags in one year? 

• Confused 1

This happened to my son last year. Drawn for a youth hunt. Grandfather drawn for a late tag. We were told no. I got on the phone and made multiple calls to multiple people. Ended up discussing it with a branch manager who worked it out with the Phoenix office. It was an ordeal and took several weeks. In the end it worked out and he had the tag transferred. 

They told me there was something in their computer system that would not allow them to transfer the tag. They had to work with IT to get that adjusted in the system. It was a frustrating process but overall it worked out and the folks at the offices were great to work with. 

• Like 3

As far as someone holding two elk tags, one from the draw and one from the leftovers, that's an interesting thought. Don't know if anyone has tried it or done it... but...

You can have multiple javalina tags, only one from the general draw the other/s from the leftover, can't be the same hunt number. Harvest limit is two javalina a year but I don't see anything limiting you to only two separate tags. I've gone down after the leftover draw week and purchased two tags, maybe I could have bought five. 

I doubt there's enough leftovers to get excited about it anymore.

Kent

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 6:12 AM, krp said:

As far as someone holding two elk tags, one from the draw and one from the leftovers, that's an interesting thought. Don't know if anyone has tried it or done it... but...

You can have multiple javalina tags, only one from the general draw the other/s from the leftover, can't be the same hunt number. Harvest limit is two javalina a year but I don't see anything limiting you to only two separate tags. I've gone down after the leftover draw week and purchased two tags, maybe I could have bought five. 

I doubt there's enough leftovers to get excited about it anymore.

Kent

Never heard of anyone trying to get a leftover elk tag after drawing a tag, but if someone ever did, I would fully support AZGFD taking the tag that was drawn just for being greedy.   

I am willing to identify as a underage grandchild of anyone wanting to pass a tag down. Just throwing it out there. 

Problem is regulation wording isn't subject to opinion, even the G&F's. And I know from experience G&F doesn't always understand the consequences of proposals they put out. 

Kent

Typical government bureaucracy at its best. It shouldn't be up to the discretion from whomever answers the phone that day. Its either yes or no, circumstances not mattering. Make the details and qualifications very clear in writing( in the regs) and be done.    

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 11:21 AM, BeardownAZ said:

Typical government bureaucracy at its best. It shouldn't be up to the discretion from whomever answers the phone that day. Its either yes or no, circumstances not mattering. Make the details and qualifications very clear in writing( in the regs) and be done.    

It is very clear.  A person can not have two draw tags. (Except javelina cause they changed the rule for that).  What is printed in the regs, like the screen shot above, is just simplified.  You have to read the actual law which is a game and fish rule in this instance. 

15 hours ago, Northern Pintail said:

It is very clear.  A person can not have two draw tags. (Except javelina cause they changed the rule for that).  What is printed in the regs, like the screen shot above, is just simplified.  You have to read the actual law which is a game and fish rule in this instance. 

Correct. Tags per type can not exceed the bag limit. So for Javi you can have 2 draw hunt number tags and 2 OTC tags. For elk you can have 1 draw hunt number tag and 1 OTC tag. 

On 11/3/2022 at 4:51 PM, Northern Pintail said:

Thats not what the topic said. They said can you surrender the original tag and then take a hand me down tag from a adult family member.